cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag Item

SamLima
Level 7
how to give multiple tags for the same item?

------------------------------
Sam Lima
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Sam,

Currently there is no action which lets us put multiple tags at a single go for any item which is locked. However, you can keep on using multiple 'Tag Item' actions once your item has been locked and you are getting the Item ID from 'Get Next Item' action. So whenever you add a new tag the tag gets added to the item in addition to the prior tag that was added separated by ';'. Suppose let's say I have used a 'Tag Item' action with the following tag: 'Item Added' and then after some steps in my workflow I use another 'Tag Item' action with the tag 'Item Processed' then the item would have the following tag structure: 'Item Added; Item Processed'

Another quick time saving approach can be that you create a collection with one column called as 'Tag Names' and you set up all the tags that you want to add to the item in separate rows of that column. Now use a Loop stage to iterate over that collection and within Loop stage you use a single 'Tag Item' action where you can pass the [<Collection_Name>.Tag Names] value for the Tag input parameter of the action along with the item ID of the currently locked item.

NOTE: Always remember whenever you use 'Tag Item' action a new tag will be automatically appended to the list of the tags present for that item. A tag can only be removed from the list when you use 'Untag Item' action with the same tag name explicitly.

----------------------------------
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Sam,

Currently there is no action which lets us put multiple tags at a single go for any item which is locked. However, you can keep on using multiple 'Tag Item' actions once your item has been locked and you are getting the Item ID from 'Get Next Item' action. So whenever you add a new tag the tag gets added to the item in addition to the prior tag that was added separated by ';'. Suppose let's say I have used a 'Tag Item' action with the following tag: 'Item Added' and then after some steps in my workflow I use another 'Tag Item' action with the tag 'Item Processed' then the item would have the following tag structure: 'Item Added; Item Processed'

Another quick time saving approach can be that you create a collection with one column called as 'Tag Names' and you set up all the tags that you want to add to the item in separate rows of that column. Now use a Loop stage to iterate over that collection and within Loop stage you use a single 'Tag Item' action where you can pass the [<Collection_Name>.Tag Names] value for the Tag input parameter of the action along with the item ID of the currently locked item.

NOTE: Always remember whenever you use 'Tag Item' action a new tag will be automatically appended to the list of the tags present for that item. A tag can only be removed from the list when you use 'Untag Item' action with the same tag name explicitly.

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.

Devendra_KumarP
Level 7
Hi Sam, 

As Devneet mentioned that there is no single action to add or remove multiple tag in the Blue Prism. Sometime back, I submitted an idea to remove all tags in one go. if you find it's useful then please vote for it. 

https://community.blueprism.com/innovate/ideas/viewidea?IdeationKey=19e2f3f6-079c-4a26-b959-d6513ae599e0

Devendra Kumar Prajapati
RPA Manager
Infosys
Chandigarh, India
Devendra Kumar Prajapati RPA Manager Infosys Chandigarh, India

Hi Sam

I tend to cheat a little bit when it comes to tagging items. The standard approach is to add tags using semi colon "mytag;newtag;anothertag" which works to add multiples but only when adding an item to a queue. If you want to open a work queue item then add multiple tags do it like this "mytag,newtag,anothertag" this lets me add all the tags but I can also remove all these tags in one go as well using untag action and the string "mytag,newtag,anothertag" if these had the semi colon it would throw an error. This will let you add multiple tags to the queue item even when you have it locked. This is a bit of a cheat since you arent actually adding multiple tags but a single string, i use this as after the item is created and it need to update the tags I use Get Item Data to get the tags, remove tags to remove the whole string and then tag item to add in a new string.

For example "Pending excel update, Pending Word update, Pending DB update" are my initial tags I then get item data for the current tag, use remove tags with the data item [Tags] and then tag item again to add in a new one which might be "Pending excel update, Word update Complete, DB update Complete"

Item added to queue with todays date
32577.pngAdded new tag
32578.png
Removed new tag
32579.png

Michael ONeil
Technical Lead developer
NTTData
Europe/London