class name, and type name?

------------------------------
Sam Lima
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

david.l.morris
Level 14

I imagine someone else who has dug into this more will respond with more specific information, but here's what I know/think and some related information:

X = Should normally be the X position (number of pixels) from the left side of the screen or from the left side of its parent element. It can also just be 0. *See below for my assumption
Y = Same as X except from the top of the screen or the top of the parent element.
Parent X = The same thing as X except for the parent element, meaning this number could be the parent element's position from the left side of its parent or the left side of the screen.
Parent Y = Same concept as Parent X except from the top of the screen or the top of the parent's parent element.
Class Name = This would take a long paragraph to explain, and I'd probably do it poorly. So, just think of this as the kind of element when it comes to the app's design having used various kinds of controls/elements. It might say Window here or Edit or Tab Control or something like that.
Type Name = I've never used this before so I had to do a quick spying operation to see what values go here. This looks to me to be some kind of extension of Class Name because similar values go into this.

*My assumption with X/Y: Sometimes the value of X or Y are 0, and I think that's because the element's left/top side matches up exactly with its parent, such that they are in the exact same place.

Typically you'll want to avoid using any X or Y kind of attributes unless you know why you're using them. Sometimes, I use Width or Height with Match Type set to Greater Than and then with a value like 0 or 10. This can be used in order to ensure Blue Prism only uses elements that are actually visible (drawn on the screen). In general, I would avoid using those attributes though.

Class Name and Type Name will probably be empty sometimes as well. If they're filled, you can probably use them, though I would only use them if it seems to be necessary.

Best Practice is to only use attributes (1) if they are necessary to narrow down to the target element and/or (2) if they help speed up finding the element.

Dave Morris
3Ci at Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

david.l.morris
Level 14

I imagine someone else who has dug into this more will respond with more specific information, but here's what I know/think and some related information:

X = Should normally be the X position (number of pixels) from the left side of the screen or from the left side of its parent element. It can also just be 0. *See below for my assumption
Y = Same as X except from the top of the screen or the top of the parent element.
Parent X = The same thing as X except for the parent element, meaning this number could be the parent element's position from the left side of its parent or the left side of the screen.
Parent Y = Same concept as Parent X except from the top of the screen or the top of the parent's parent element.
Class Name = This would take a long paragraph to explain, and I'd probably do it poorly. So, just think of this as the kind of element when it comes to the app's design having used various kinds of controls/elements. It might say Window here or Edit or Tab Control or something like that.
Type Name = I've never used this before so I had to do a quick spying operation to see what values go here. This looks to me to be some kind of extension of Class Name because similar values go into this.

*My assumption with X/Y: Sometimes the value of X or Y are 0, and I think that's because the element's left/top side matches up exactly with its parent, such that they are in the exact same place.

Typically you'll want to avoid using any X or Y kind of attributes unless you know why you're using them. Sometimes, I use Width or Height with Match Type set to Greater Than and then with a value like 0 or 10. This can be used in order to ensure Blue Prism only uses elements that are actually visible (drawn on the screen). In general, I would avoid using those attributes though.

Class Name and Type Name will probably be empty sometimes as well. If they're filled, you can probably use them, though I would only use them if it seems to be necessary.

Best Practice is to only use attributes (1) if they are necessary to narrow down to the target element and/or (2) if they help speed up finding the element.

Dave Morris
3Ci at Southern Company
Atlanta, GA

You can get more information from below web link on all attributes per spy modes.

https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-7-0/en-us/frmIntegrationAssistant.htm?tocpath=Interface%7CStudio%7CObject%20studio%7CApplication%20modeller%7C_____0

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect

Looks like it's missing Type Name. Do you see it anywhere?

Also lol at the description it has for Class Name. Whoever typed that went for minimal effort haha.

Dave Morris
3Ci at Southern Company
Atlanta, GA

haha exactly that's what made me ask here, Thank you for your response 

Sam Lima

I  was going through this course today  and thought it rightly fit the ask here.

Although the course is quite hold but it can very good information on Spy mode and its attributes.

https://blue-prism.docebosaas.com/learn/course/198/play/1581/browser-automation-guide

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect