cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API call in BP

MarilynGagarin
Level 4
Hello again,
I need to understand how  to call API in BluePrism.  We are thinking of using this to process invoices in one of our application system.  I have seen few posts here about API and still catching up.
--Looks like we have REST API  as we transfer values., is this supported ?
-- what VBO is use to call API? 
--Is there any tutorial or demo on how to start. or documentations on steps or requirements?
-- we are still in 6.3 version so not sure if this is doable.

Appreciate your help and any inputs. Thank you.

------------------------------
Marilyn Gagarin
Senior Programmer/Analyst
United Rental, Inc.
America/New_York
5 REPLIES 5

ArkadyDudko
Level 4
A call to REST API is nothing more than a correctly formatted HTTP GET  or POST. This can be accomplished using the HTTP VBO. Just like you can use any other language , or POSTMAN tool to send a request to any URL you can use the HTTP VBO to send a request to an endpoint route as long as you provide correct values in all the Input Parameters needed for that request

Arkady Dudko

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Marilyn,

The in-built REST API feature was made available from Blue Prism V6.4 onwards. You can upgrade to a higher version of Blue Prism in order to manage various REST API services Blue Prism may call more effectively. This feature can help you integrate most of the REST API services with only a few exceptions. It is a better way of managing and integrating REST API services with Blue Prism.

In v6.3, you can utilise Utility VBOs to achieve the same, just that it is less user friendly as compared to the feature offered in v6.4. Working knowledge of how REST web services work is highly recommended. This involves you develop understanding the concepts such as the composition of web request and web response. A good place to start is to obtain the latest version of those VBOs from Blue Prism Digitial Exchange. The two key ones are:

1. Utility HTTP

This utility creates a web request and returns a web response from the web service. It is the main VBO to use. The DX version is more feature rich, and is recommended instead of the same VBO shipped with the product.

2. Utility JSON

This utility allows transformation between JSON and Blue Prism collection. It will help in transforming returned JSON string from the response into a collection data item that you can readily work with Blue Prism. 

Hope this helps.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney

Hi Arkady,
Thank you for your reply.  Looks like I need the latest version of HTTP VBO. We have not used this VBO and it was included in out BP install.
Again, this is all new to me and needed information and advice as I can get. Appreciate it.

Marilyn Gagarin
United Rental, Inc.
America/New_York

Hi Bruce.
Thank you for the information.  Agree, need to understand on this little by little.  We have the Utility - HTTP from our BP install.  I will need the latest version and download from DX
Also, I  see some posts mentioned Web Services, see below. This has to be setup as well or required?  is this being used by HTTP VBO?  probably I should read more.

7124.png

Marilyn Gagarin
United Rental, Inc.
America/New_York

@MarilynGagarin,

That wizard is for defining external, 3rd party SOAP web services that you want to invoke from within your Blue Prism processes/VBOs. Basically they will be presented, assuming their WSDL is properly interpreted, as available VBOs within an Action stage.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange