Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism latest versions and Backward Compatibility

GaneshSanthanam
Level 2
Blue Prism Backward Compatibility

Hi
We are looking to upgrade from our current 6.4 to 6.5.1 (or 6.6.1).
I wanted to seek this forum's help with two points:
(1) Has anyone done such migration? If yes, then which version did you choose to go with?
(2) Are both 6.5.1 and 6.6.1 backward compatible? Or, did you have to change your current automations to make it compatible?
(3) What has been your experience with 6.5.1 or 6.6.1?
(4) Is there full backward compatibility?
In one of the forum postings I read that "there may be some subtle changes, handling of queue retries logic on session end, which was changed in 6.5 and reverted in 6.5.1 I think.."
https://community.blueprism.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=253&MessageKey=272399f5-1f70-4ce8-a7e6-d743b1f09053&CommunityKey=efee3494-8a01-4798-9b11-4370e0257314&tab=dig...
In another post I read "BP 6.6 and above have changed the way XMLs are stored".
https://community.blueprism.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=301&MessageKey=6ce0262a-e667-406e-a972-3195741e87ee&CommunityKey=fa047dc0-20a4-4608-af34-ae6578160b33&tab=dig...

I will appreciate if folks here share their experiences and provide some answers to the above.

Thanks
Ganesh

------------------------------
Ganesh
2 REPLIES 2

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi Ganesh,

I believe the standard response is that there is no guarantee of backwards compatibility from a newer release of Blue Prism to an older release. The reason is that there may be changes made to the newer release (ex. database changes, changes to the underlying XML of VBOs/processes/etc) that may break backwards compatibility. 

With that said, I migrated from 6.4 to 6.5.1 and I've had no issues.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Partner Integrations for Digital Exchange
Blue Prism

PhilipTrovato
Level 4
There are some control room bugs and Process studio Bugs in 6.5, so we started Migration to 6.5, and backed off and waited to 6.6.

6.4 to 6.6. Have some notes and key points from my perspective. If you plan on using the Datagate Way, or use the "tile" information currently, Its a big deal learning to set that up the first time.

Security Access for Developers was increased. They now have the ability to edit process and objects in nonprod. This in now required to import. BG-4096.
Process option to"Terminate the Session on session log failure" no longer functions and Process des not start. BG-4443
ENV locks now delete by default when release. Could caouse issues with logic of it you use lock "comments"
256 Character limit in txt fields. Resolved in future version BG-XXXX

https://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/Automation-Design/Application-Integration/Firefox/1373259372/What-are-the-known-issues-in-Blue-Prism-version-6-6.htm

Old BP Analytic Data vs Data Gateway.
Session logs need to be fairly clean and not excessive or large Parameters. Otherwise DGW will choke on session logs.
"Analytic" Tile data no longer outputted "null" for the "Pending Queue Volumes" and "Queue Volumes by Status" - BG-4970

Philip Trovato