cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AWS S3 API Calls fails when objects has special characters or spaces in the name

EslamGhandour
Level 4

Greetings,

I am using the last AWS S3 object from DXchange and all the prequisite objects as well are up to date.

I managed to use the main actions such as uploading, downlading and so. However, they only work if the object name has no space or special characters. 
According to AWS documentation, this scenario needs a special handling. It makes complete sense to do so as it will be affecting the URL and it has to be encoded. 

856.png
I am not good with custom codes, but I understood that there is no encoding happening. which leads to the problem I'm facing. 
Is there any possibility to get any kind of help to modify the code to make it encode the special characters?

I've been trying to solve that issue for over than a week. I tried to build my own webservice action but I got stuck with AWS Signature. 

Main goal is to download files which can be achieved by GetObject action. 

I would appreciate any kind of help. Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
Eslam Ghandour
11 REPLIES 11

Hi @EslamGhandour,

The colon (:) is not considered a valid character for use in filenames when it comes to Windows. In fact, if you try to create a new file on your Windows machine and use a colon in the name you should see something like this:
840.png
While the colon can be used in filenames on *nix systems (i.e. Unix and Linux) it's generally frowned upon because files can't be moved between *nix and Windows and because the colon can be a special character in various scripting languages. Further, the colon is considered a reserved character from the perspective of RFC 3986 and URIs.

My recommendation is, if possible, don't use colons, or any other reserved character, in your filenames. 

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

@ewilson

Thank you very much for your brief explanation and the fast release to solve that issue. Your effort is really appreciate!

I will follow your recommendations.

Best of luck! ​

Eslam Ghandour