cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to properly add a library/dll

EricLiu
Level 5
Hi I am new to Blue Prism. I have been trying to send email with Outlook "properly" with Blue Prism. It turns out Blue Prism MAPIEx is not stable, Blue Prism Outlook VBO is recommended. However, when trying to use this VBO on my machine for the first time, an error occured. Compiler error at top section line -6: could not find library 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll' I tried to find this dll on the internet, download it and put it directly under C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate , Windows will not let me do that, 0x80004005. It seems that there are dependencies for this dll, you cannot simply copy and paste. Is there a package manager for the libraries Blue Prism to use? Is there a proper way to do this?
5 REPLIES 5

DaveMorris
Level 14
The safest way to get it is to install Blue Prism 6.3+ on a machine, go into the Blue Prism Automate folder, and copy that dll since it is automatically placed there during a 6.3+ install. Once you have that dll, you can paste it into the Automate folder of earlier versions of Blue Prism too. As far as a package manager, no, you just download dlls and place them in the Automate folder. Usually the required dlls are provided by Blue Prism directly through installing an addon/version of BP.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

EricLiu
Level 5
Thanks David!

DeclanKeeton
Level 3
Hi,   Just to tag onto this as I also had a problem. I'm using BP version 5.033, upon installing the MS Outlook VBO I had the same problem. I simply copied the DLL into the Blue Prism Automate folder as listed above and the errors cleared.   However 2 days later the compiler error returned. The DLL still existed within the Blue Prism Automate folder.   After a lot of tinkering, I finally went to Initialise / Code Options / Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll I clicked on this dll, clicked browse and selected the DLL. Now in code options the dll appears as; C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate\Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll  

DaveMorris
Level 14
If it can change on its own, I would just blame the computer gremlins and change it back. Just kidding, but for real, the reference to the dll should work with the full path or with just the name of the dll, though it is recommended to avoid the full path in case the location is slightly different on one machine compared to another. I just glanced at ours... In External References, we have 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll'. And in Namespace Imports, we have 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook'.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

DeclanKeeton
Level 3
Yeah that was the exact same as ours pre-mysterious gremlin work. I think should it happen again I'll just keep alternating between the full file path and the shortened one to clear the error. (I'm hoping it was a one time headscratcher issue)