cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

128 character limit using

Graeme__Tacon
Level 6
Hi, I'm trying to call a stored procedure to insert entries onto a database via the 'Get number' action in the 'Data - SQL Server' object. One of the fields is defined on the table and in the stored procedure as VARCHAR(1000). However, when I send more that 128 characters in this field, I get the message: The identifier that starts with '' is too long. Maximum length is 128. Taking the data I am passing and executing the stored procedure in SQL Management Studio works fine. Where does the 128 character limit come from ? I can get around it, by splitting the 1000 character field down into 10 fields of 100 characters and getting the stored procedure to stick it back together, but would like to avoid that if I can. Thanks Graeme
1 REPLY 1

KimStroh
Level 2
I also have this issue with a more advanced query that includes a PIVOT. The database is a 3rd party db so we don't really want to add stored procs to it if we can avoid it. When you research the string size for most Microsoft products including SQL 2012 and greater we should have over 65K characters available. Why is BP limiting to such a small amount in their code module?