cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BP / Spy Region Mode with System Display scale above 100% - possible??

Paul
Level 3

I'm using BP on a laptop with my system display scaled to 200% (default setting). The problem is I cannot spy regions properly with this - I will only get half the image showing up in region editor if I do this. Setting my display to 100% works but then everything on my desktop is so tiny I can barely read it. I've tried modifying various compatibility and DPI settings for BP application but no luck. Does anyone know a fix or workaround for this?

FWIW I'm running on a surface pro 5 with windows 10.

Thanks 🙂

------------------------------
Paul
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Unfortunately, Surface automation is designed and destined to be working that way.

You should probably think of having separate production VM's for Surface automation related processes.

Vivek Goel
Submit Your Built solution for "The" RPACULT 2020- The Unique RPA Hackathon of 2020.
http://therpacult.com

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Paul,

With region mode, ideally you want to do development in an environment that matches your production environment as closely as possible. Otherwise you risk the classic situation of "it works fine on my local machine" and end up having to re-spy elements.

With that in mind, here are some considerations:
-Set the display settings to match the production environment before capturing the image for the region. Once you have captured the image, you can open the region editor and zoom in or out as needed to identify your target elements. From the top menu of the region editor, you can set the zoom from 25% to 500%.
-If you have an external monitor available, it might be easier with a bigger or second display.
-With Utility - Environment, you can use Get Screen Resolution to get the resolution and Font Smoothing Enabled to check whether font smoothing is applied for the current environment.

#surfaceautomation

Patrick Aucoin
Senior Product Consultant
Blue Prism

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. The production environment is 200%. The problem is in application modeler - when I have a resolution set above 100%, it crops the image. So for example at 200%, the image is cut in half (100% / 200%). Zooming in and out in region editor doesn't change it, the image is cropped. I just now tried to re-import the "Utility - Environment" and actually the problem got worse, it now gets half the desired region but also grabs parts of the screen that are outside the bounds of what I selected. I'm not sure why that affected application modeler behaviour tbh, maybe just a coincidence.

The only workaround I've found is to keep re-adjusting my system display settings to 100% when working in region mode, but that causes other problems since when I go back to 200% it will have incorrect coordinates.

Attached image is an example of the problem from the BP surface automation training course. "Image Loader" application window was captured with region mode, when windows system display was set at 200%.

30080.jpg

Paul

Unfortunately, Surface automation is designed and destined to be working that way.

You should probably think of having separate production VM's for Surface automation related processes.

Vivek Goel
Submit Your Built solution for "The" RPACULT 2020- The Unique RPA Hackathon of 2020.

Thanks Vivek. So we need to tell customers they MUST set resolution to 100% for surface automation to work?

Paul

Yes, That would be the first assumption to be documented. 
Apart from that you may also advise the client to carefully design their processes and architect them in such a way that it can support  separate VM's for Surface automation and do a handover as and when necessary. That way, additional revenue and better reusability can also be ensured 🙂

Vivek Goel