cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for attaching objects to application

MayankGoyal2
Level 8
Hi, When designing a object for application we call a attach page at start of every action where we check if object is already attached and if Yes, detach and attach it. Once attach is successful, we proceed with normal interactions on web page within that action.
Please suggest if its a good practice to detach the application from object at end of each action? This way every action of object when called in process will attach, do the work and detach.
From stability perspective, what is the best way to design individual action within object. Below is the snapshot of attach page.

20245.png

------------------------------
Mayank Goyal
2 REPLIES 2

GopalBhaire
Level 10
I don't think there's a need to detach the object if it's already attached, you can directly move to end stage. Only time I prefer to use detach is when handling popups.

Gopal Bhaire
Analyst
Accenture

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
It's not best practice to detach, there is no need. Maybe with popups as Gopal says, but personally I'd prefer to create another object that attaches to the pop up rather than have a VBO that switches between EXEs.

Having an attach at the start of each object page is more of an insurance policy to guarantee the process developer (who may not have had any involvement in creating the object) cannot fail to attach when using the object. It can also help make development of an attaching object easier.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism