cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice to run processes in production

BarryBell
Level 4
Hello everyone, We have reached a point where we are using the scheduler to run processes we have in production but we have hit a snag. Currently, we remote into virtual desktops to use BP for development and production runs. If I remote in and set up a process in the scheduler all is well and good until I log out of the RDP session. (I take my laptop home every evening) For the short run, I have asked for an additional laptop to leave on my desk logged in to the RDP so the scheduler can do its thing. Our security and compliance officer does not like this. What are other firms doing for RPA operations? I have read on some of the blogs the other issues with using RDP but I have not found what is recommed or best practice when running BP Operations.

Thanks

------------------------------
Barry Bell
RPA Manager
DHGLLP
America/New_York
5 REPLIES 5

BarryBell
Level 4
I found some information on this. https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/2017-11/v6%20Data%20Sheet%20-%20Remote%20Access%20Tools.pdf

Barry Bell
RPA Manager
DHGLLP
America/New_York

JoakimEklund
Level 6
Hi Barry,

Why does the scheduler fail? The scheduler is managed on the application server and whether you're logged in or logged out of the machine which created the schedule shouldn't have any impact on the execution of the schedule

/Joakim

Joakim Eklund
Senior RPA Developer
Swedbank AB
Europe/Stockholm

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Barry

As you'll have seen in the guide, RDP isn't recommended, or at least if you do use it, you need to be careful. RDP isn't simply a 'viewer', you're actually logging into the remote machine, and when you disconnect, the desktop is disposed. This effect can be very confusing, where an automation work fine while you observe it, but not when you don't. I found it was only until I RPed between two laptops that the 'penny dropped' as to what the effect was.

There are more sophisticated tools out there, ones that do act as a 'viewer' and don't have an adverse effect on the remote machine.

John

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Walter.Koller
Level 11
Hi,
As already mentioned using RDP to connect to runtime resources is often the cause of strange runtime behavior. We faced issued especially with LoginAgent.
You might also want to review your Windows settings and policies for power saving and lock screen.
Our runtime resources are running in Citrix VM environment and we still had some issues even with recommended policies and settings applied. We solved it by having a tool running in the background that emulates activity (pressing of a key every couple of minutes) even when the robot is idle.

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Group IT International GmbH
Europe/Vienna

Hi

I believe RDP is not supported and is know to cause issues
Please refer to data-sheet
https://portal.blueprism.com/documents/v6-data-sheet-remote-access-tools

Regards