cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism message when clicking Configure Connection

jhogelp
MVP
Hi everyone,

Question: I got the following message from Blue Prism with the Windows user (AD) when clicking on the Configure connection option in the Login window to Blue Prism for the connection.

What kind of permission does the Windows user require to avoid the message?

"You require an administrator's permission to configure server connections"

27977.png

------------------------------
Jhogel Ponne
Senior RPA
Ernst & Young
America/Panama
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

TahaSonmez
Level 5
Hi Jhogel,

If I understood your question correctly; configuring connection needs standard administration rights of a Windows user. To configure connection, you can run Blue Prism as administrator via right clicking to the exe.

Taha Sonmez
ROM Architect
SabanciDx

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TahaSonmez
Level 5
Hi Jhogel,

If I understood your question correctly; configuring connection needs standard administration rights of a Windows user. To configure connection, you can run Blue Prism as administrator via right clicking to the exe.

Taha Sonmez
ROM Architect
SabanciDx

Thank you Taha Sonmez for your answer !! As they informed me, they right-click the BP icon to open as administrator using the same Windows user but the message continues to appear, they tried with another support user with an administrator profile and if it allows them to modify the connection settings. It is believed that the Windows user has a problem since other colleagues with the same role and permission in BP can open the Configure Connection option on their computers without problem.

Jhogel Ponne
Senior RPA
Ernst & Young
America/Panama

Hello again,

I think this situation should be discussed with IT department of company.

Taha Sonmez
ROM Architect
SabanciDx

Hi,

Blue Prism saves connection configuration in this file: C:\ProgramData\Blue Prism Limited\Automate V3\Automate.config
Other config files may be there depending if this machine was set up as runtime resource and depending on the version of Blue Prism installed.

By default 'normal' users don't seem to have edit rights on those folders and therefore Windows asks for elevated permissions.
Since this can become a little combersome to always type user/password of the admin user (in case admin users are even allowed in your company), we asked to grant full access to folder C:\ProgramData\Blue Prism Limited\Automate V3\ and everything below.

I would not recommend switching to user and run Blue Prism application as admin user.
First this is bad practice, there is a reason why normal Windows users don't have admin rights.
Second, in this case Blue Prism will run as admin user, which might have different rights, access (eg personal network drive), runtime behavior, ... It might not be possible to spy applications started in different user contexts.

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Group IT International GmbH
Europe/Vienna