cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism new Release 6.8 and 6.9

MayankGoyal2
Level 8
Hi, We are planning to upgrade BP version to either 6.8 or 6.9.

I am looking for some inputs from team members who have used these version and can provide some suggestions which one will be better and safer to upgrade to in terms to stability as well as getting new functionality.

------------------------------
Mayank Goyal
4 REPLIES 4

AmiBarrett
Level 12
The word "better" is subjective. In this case, it depends on what you're looking to achieve with an upgrade. For a feature comparison, this can be found in our published product release notes.

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Plano, TX

@AmiBarrett - I agree word better is subjective, what I am looking for is some feedback around - Spying improvement, Crashing or memory issues from team members who have worked on these versions for some time.

You know release notes is one place to refer, however first hand practical experience is always better. ​

Mayank Goyal

I've worked with both 6.8 and 6.9 a fair amount. 6.8 is a fairly stable version, whereas I would not consider 6.9 a stable or even valid version.

6.8 has a few issues, which I believe are correctly documented in the 6.8 Known Issues list, and for the most part there are workarounds for those issues. I found 6.8 overall to be a significant improvement over all previous versions. I'm mostly referring to the quality of life type of enhancements. And of course that's when they added Edge Chromium support. I also found Chrome automation to be more reliable in 6.8 than it was in 6.7 and below.

It's just my opinion, but I would not recommend anyone upgrade to 6.9 without first doing significant testing in it from an evaluation/playground environment first. The thing to pay attention to is Chrome/Firefox/Edge browser automation in regards to the speed at which it runs. There's also an issue with 'Evaluate Expression' when it needs to work with a collection; that is, it just doesn't work at all; and this might sound like a small problem, but it's actually pretty significant problem for developers.

I personally think 6.9 should get deprecated (and the installer removed from the Portal) once a 6.9.1 version comes out or maybe 6.10.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

@Dave Morris - Thanks a lot, this was very helpful ​

Mayank Goyal