cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade from 6.9 to 6.8

Sven_StienWullu
Level 4
Hi!

We're currently trying out BP v6.9 in our Test and QA-environments.
There are several issues with this version, and we're wondering if anyone has tried downgrading from 6.9 to 6.8, and the steps to do so.

------------------------------
Sven Stien Wullum
RPA-developer
Fremtind
Europe/Oslo
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

@JorgeMartins I'd say it depends on how soon you need it for production use. If you don't plan to run processes in production within the next few weeks, then 6.9 may be just fine. Some of the 'issues' are only upgrade issues such as the wait stage parameter thing. And the browser extension slowness issue should be resolved by the end of the week, only requiring an update to the Browser Extension rather than to Blue Prism itself. They updated the Chrome browser extension already. I tested it yesterday, and it seems to be good now.

There are, however, a couple issues with 6.9 that may always be a 'thing' for 6.9, but I think the benefits of 6.9 outweigh those minor problems. I've been developing in 6.9 for weeks now, and I like it overall, especially given that the browser slowness issue is being addressed pretty quickly.

You'll want to test that the ephemeral ports setting works in your environment. Basically, just do various testing with multiple browsers at the same time (Chrome & Firefox, for example).

If you don't need it for production right away, then I'd say go for 6.9.​

Edit: Here's a link to the 6.9 Known Issues list, which I look at regularly: http://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/1535133752

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

View answer in original post

10 REPLIES 10

HarishM2
Level 6
Hi - May I know what are the isses you encountered in version 6.9?

Harish
RPA Developer

DaveMorris
Level 14
You'd need to restore a backup of your database and then uninstall BP 6.9 from the various machines and reinstall 6.8.

What issues are you having the most trouble with? Some of the issues will be fixed this week.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA

@Dave Morris, hi
I'm in the starting point of a brand new BP installation and was prepared to go forward with 6.9.
After reading this I am kind of spooked! 🙂
Should I wait a few more days?
Or install 6.8 and upgrade when next version comes out?
And, if so where can I find 6.8 download?

Thanks,
I appreciate all the feedback I have been reading from you​. 🙂

Jorge Martins

@JorgeMartins I'd say it depends on how soon you need it for production use. If you don't plan to run processes in production within the next few weeks, then 6.9 may be just fine. Some of the 'issues' are only upgrade issues such as the wait stage parameter thing. And the browser extension slowness issue should be resolved by the end of the week, only requiring an update to the Browser Extension rather than to Blue Prism itself. They updated the Chrome browser extension already. I tested it yesterday, and it seems to be good now.

There are, however, a couple issues with 6.9 that may always be a 'thing' for 6.9, but I think the benefits of 6.9 outweigh those minor problems. I've been developing in 6.9 for weeks now, and I like it overall, especially given that the browser slowness issue is being addressed pretty quickly.

You'll want to test that the ephemeral ports setting works in your environment. Basically, just do various testing with multiple browsers at the same time (Chrome & Firefox, for example).

If you don't need it for production right away, then I'd say go for 6.9.​

Edit: Here's a link to the 6.9 Known Issues list, which I look at regularly: http://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/1535133752

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA

@Dave Morris many thanks for your input.​

Jorge Martins

@JorgeMartins do you need any of the new functionality? Otherwise, I'd go with an older release that has been used in production environments like 6.8. We recently went live and installed the 6.7.2 rather than going with 6.8 at the time. Looking at the known issues in the release notes is a great place to start planning. 

Comes down to what you need and your appetite for risk. Most companies I have worked for normally run on an n-1 release schedule.

Grant

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, considering some of the issues will be fixed.

The biggest complaint we had was the stability of the chrome extension, but I can see that there's a new version available already.
"Version 2.2.0.3 of the Blue Prism 6.9 browser extension, which addresses this issue for Google Chrome is available from 26 October 2020. "

The rest are the issues you've already raised in this thread. https://community.blueprism.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=5e83dc1e-383e-4f6a-8507-b5b957e0e846&CommunityKey=3743dbaa-6766-4a4d-b7ed-9a98b6b1dd01&tab=digestviewer#bm...

Would you consider the interactions with Chrome more stable and functional in 6.9 than in previous versions?

Sven Stien Wullum
RPA-developer
Fremtind
Europe/Oslo

@GrantByron, You are absolutely right! Looking at known issues is a great way to start!
All known issues exclusive to 6.9 we considered with none or low impact and only one doesn't have a workaround. That turned the scale in favor of 6.9!
Some of the new enhancements and features are, at least, interesting!
I have my hands on a new yet very small solution (only two Runtime Resources) and three developers. I think it's manageable even with the known issues.
Nevertheless, thanks for your opinion.

Jorge Martins

MaxMcConchie
Level 5
We are about to upgrade from 6.3 to 6.9 in the next few weeks, development first then production a few days after. We don't have any existing Chrome-based (Or anything other than IE really). Looking at the known issues, I can see that the only thing that could affect us is the highlight problem, but that in my opinion is easily resolved as it only limited to a few objects in our instance. The wait stage parameter will be annoying but won't affect processes already running in production.

I think with the Chrome extension issue resolved then I can't see any major problems that we could face. 

Am I missing something here?

Max McConchie
Automation Manager
Australian Government Department of Finance