cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic start page URL?

EllenPeereboom
Level 4
Hello,

I am currently running into an issue with the application modeller.

The goal is to model a web-based (Chrome) application, but this application has different URL's for its own Acceptance and Production environment. The problem is that this URL is the start page given in the root element of the application modeller (see attached image).

Is is possible to make this start page URL dynamic or is there another way of solving this?

I have tried launching Chrome separately in an Action stage, followed by navigating to the Production URL, then trying to attach to the A-based model. Unfortunately, this does not work. The URL path for the individual spied elements is unticked, so that is not the problem.
Another attempt involved a shared application model. I made the model in object 1 and used it again in object 2. However, changing the URL from A to P in model 2 also changes it in the original model 1. 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ellen

------------------------------
Ellen Peereboom
6 REPLIES 6

NilsZwart
Level 3
You have to use the paramaters with the Launch function of the Navigate stage.

Offering these differnt URL`s based on the environment (O,T,A,P)  you will have differnt options. I would suggests using an environment variable. (easy and neat)

However i myself use a flag to say in what enviroment i am, followed by a desicon and a calculate stage each. to set the URL for P or O.
Cause we often have the problem that the P isn`t the same as the O... and with that we can check the P form the O......Jeah Fun.....

Hope it helps!

Nils Zwart
Developer
SVB
Europe/London

Hi Nils, 

Thanks for your reply, that was the right solution!

Ellen Peereboom

Your welkom, Happy to help. What option did you use in the end?

Nils Zwart
Developer
SVB
Europe/London

Hi Nils,

I used a decision stage in the process to read whether the user name contained 'production', then a calculate stage to set the URL, finally sending this URL to the Launch Object.
Should be steady enough I believe 🙂

Ellen

Ellen Peereboom

Nice, We also use this for defining the Document Paths, Credentials & mail addresses. So with one toggle of flag-element "[testomgeving]" translate to "[Testarea]" we can use production data of development data. Just don't forget to change the flag before you send it to production 😛

Nils Zwart
Developer
SVB
Europe/London

For credentials and mail addresses I use environment variables, which is easier since no change within the processes is required. However, for processes with many vars a dual solution with both environment vars and flagged vars may be useful. Not sure about what's really best practice here though, just sharing my experience so far!

Ellen Peereboom