cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while saving large excel file(xlsm) somewhere(40 MB file)

SusamayHalder2
Level 2

Hi Team,

Hope you are doing good.

As a part of our process, it involves saving a large excel macro enabled file (around 40 MB). I tried the below options but the issue still remains. It still giver error 

1. Increased the timeout from 30 to 300 in code stage but its till gives error. The file needs to be saved in shared folder
  2. Tried to save it as separate workbook in a different folder but he error still persists.

Could you please help me out on this, this is pretty urgent.
Let me know if you need more information.

------------------------------
Susamay Halder
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Susamay,

Another thought here is to potentially bypass any issues that may be caused by the mount drive. I've seen in some environments where mount drive access varies in stability and speed. Have you, or can you, try to add an action (to the process) to copy the file to a local folder (say C:\temp,) perform the same work you are doing currently with that local copy and then a final action to copy the locally updated file back to the mount drive?

Even if that doesn't work, it may help pinpoint exactly which step is causing the problem.

Wing Ling Leung
Senior Product Consultant
Blue Prism Professional Services

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Susamay,

Can you please provide some additional information here?

Are you opening the file with the Excel VBO and trying to save it with a VBO action? Are you downloading an Excel file over the internet and driving the "Save" or "Save as" download function?

Of the options you mentioned you've tried, where are you setting the timeouts in the code stage?

Have you tried running through the same operations with a smaller Excel file? How many rows of data is in the file? How long does the normal Save action take if done manually by a human? All these questions to figure out rough metrics for this action in your environment.

Thanks

Wing Ling Leung

Hi Wing, 

Well so I am opening the file from a shard drive, doing some data manipulation using macros and generating a report. At the end I am trying to save the file in the same folder using MS Excel VBO (Save action). Initially I was getting time out error. But the issue still remains after increasing the wait time as well. This time it gives some system error. 

Of the options you mentioned you've tried, where are you setting the timeouts in the code stage?

I was changing the time out in action stage after opening from object studio 

Have you tried running through the same operations with a smaller Excel file? 

Yes I did and it was working fine 

How many rows of data is in the file?
Well depends.it has got close to 20 sheets each includes around 300, 400 rows of data 

How long does the normal Save action take if done manually by a human?
normally it takes close to 120 secs to save the workbook 

Feel free to reach me if you have any questions 
Appreciate your help 

Susamay Halder

Hi Susamay,

Another thought here is to potentially bypass any issues that may be caused by the mount drive. I've seen in some environments where mount drive access varies in stability and speed. Have you, or can you, try to add an action (to the process) to copy the file to a local folder (say C:\temp,) perform the same work you are doing currently with that local copy and then a final action to copy the locally updated file back to the mount drive?

Even if that doesn't work, it may help pinpoint exactly which step is causing the problem.

Wing Ling Leung