cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Macro Compatibility

RahulVyas
Level 3
Hi All, 

We have few huge Excel Macros as proposed as RPA Automation candidates.

The Macros have 100s if Text Boxes, Buttons and Checkboxes created which Manually takes 2-3 hours of run. 

Is it a good Idea to Spy the Macro Elements(As we are not supposed to trigger macro functions).

Even later if we are allowed to trigger macro functions is it good idea to automate such huge macros with 1000s of functions triggered with blueprism.

------------------------------
Rahul Vyas
RPA Developer
BNP Paribas
Asia/Kolkata
3 REPLIES 3

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @RahulVyas,

Are you trying to automate just the input of data into the Excel via the text boxes, buttons, etc, or are you trying to automate the overall process and get to the final output, whatever it is, for this spreadsheet? If you're trying to get to the final output I would ask if there are other ways you can collect the input data? Since you're working with a digital worker could you dip straight into backend services/database to collect the data?

Ultimately this is a fundamental consideration of any automation project. You shouldn't just automate an existing process because it's the current process. You should always review the process itself to understand what the point is and consider whether there are better ways to address the needs of the use case now.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
  ​

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Thanks Eric,

Thanks for your response, We are automating the whole process.

These macros include
  • Importing data from other sources like Excels, CSVs and databases based on button clicks.
  • Then manual inputs into text fields.
  • Business logics
  • Output generation. 
Importing input files and business logic execution in background is takes too long to process even manually. usual time is 3-4 hours and peak volume takes 8-10 hours.

I completely agree with your comments regarding the mindset behind automation process here "Ultimately this is a fundamental consideration of any automation project. You shouldn't just automate an existing process because it's the current process"

But in my case the scenario is different, the process was already identified as a RPA candidate as it is, a feasibility study was done by spying few elements. 

As per my prior experience this is not the best approach to automate these macros. I worked on almost all major RPA tools.

In this case as it is already a process under development(10%).

Can you please help me with any case studies on Macros or any reference documents  which can help me to get best practices for doing Technical feasibility study. I want to prepare a document and circulate it so that these scenarios can be avoided.

Rahul Vyas
RPA Developer
Asia/Kolkata

Hi @RahulVyas,

If you search Google on "excel macro best practices" you'll find various sites that discuss various things to consider when developing macros in Excel. Microsoft has their own best practices guide related to this. It's more than a decade old, but the principles still apply. You can find it here.

I'm still not entirely clear on what it is you're hoping to do. Do you want to replace the existing macros, the input forms, or the whole thing?

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange