cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request - List a Diff of Changes when Saving

RobertReich
Level 2
Coming from twenty years of development experience, I find it very hard to give concise and accurate commit/change messages when I hit save because there is no indication of what has changed. At the very least, I would like to see a list of what Actions/Objects/Processes has changed since the previous save.  Ideally, I should be able to open a diff-tool to compare each change atomically.
2 REPLIES 2

Mustafa_UlasYig
Level 6
Hi arjo.reich-Accenture Not entirely sure about what you mean by ""compare each change atomically"". But just to be absolutely certain, you do know that you can press a object/process and select any 2 versions of that object/process, right-click on either of those 2 versions and press compare - to compare those two versions, right? Not entirely sure if this is what you are looking for. Although this does not help you in your commit/change messages, this can help you get an overview of changes in your object/process. When opening such a comparison of 2 versions, you can export the before and after editing of these versions to xml files, if that in any way helps you. You could compare these 2 xml files and output the changes between the 2 or just view the changes in e.g. notepad ++ or another tool. Of course all of this requires a new save of object/process, where you make a comparison of changes between latest version and previous version - and that you re-save with text illustrating changes introduced in latest version. It sure would be an enhancement to BP, if commit/change messages contained automatically generated text which illustrated the differences between latest and previous version of object/process. But then again, how would this be outputted if you added a new stage, deleted a stage, modified a stage, added a page etc. Surely this is not an easy task, which is why BP does not contain such functionality. But if you find any other solution to this problem, please write it in this thread, thank you. Good luck BR, Mustafa

AndreyKudinov
Level 10
+1 I like what OP suggests, because you sometimes have an object/process open in debug mode for some time, then you close it eventually and get save changes dialog without any way to find out if you actually did something useful worth saving or just changed some data item while debugging. You can always save it with some comment like ""I have no idea"", then compare it, but that leaves a trail of random commits in your dev environment.