cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Get Item By ID' - Server vs Local

TimArgenbright
Level 3
I am currently building a work queue to loop through every item, find duplicate Key values, and merge the information together into a single item. After performing "Get Next Item", I can verify that item is now locked and information has been retrieved. I then use that item's key value to search for all items with that same key value. I then loop through that collection and try to "Get Item By ID" for each one found. However, at this point, the action will complete but no information is retrieved.

These actions are being done on a development server with user controls enabled. If I export the process as a release file to run this same process locally, it will perform the action as intended. Is there any kind of action restriction in a server environment that would be causing this action to not retrieve information? Both environments are running Blue Prism 6.9.
2 REPLIES 2

JacobClary
Staff
Staff
Hey Tim, hope you are having a good day. My first thought is if there are any differences between the environments. Environmental variables are usually the culprit in a scenario like this. To answer your question, there is nothing on a technical level in Blue Prism that should cause it to work in local, but not in a server environment. 

One question I would like to ask is if any aspects of the process when in the server environment are on different machines. So for example, if you are using a Runtime Resource in the server environment to execute this, does the Runtime Resource have the correct permissions to access and complete the process correctly? Hopefully this is a good starting point to help you troubleshoot. Let me know if you have any questions for me and I can assist further. Don't forget you can always submit a ticket on the Blue Prism portal to our support team if necessary for further troubleshooting.
Jacob Clary Senior Product Support Engineer Blue Prism

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Tim - As a sanity check, make sure the Get Item By ID call is not attempting to get the item you've already locked with Get Next Item. Also look to see if the queue has Retries enabled, as that can be a source of confusion when looking for duplicates. Another technique you may want to consider is this:

1. Get Next Item to lock the next available item
  2. Extract the Key Value from the item data
  3. Call Get Next Item again, but use the Key Filter input
  4. If step 3 returns an item ID, then that is a duplicate item.
    1. Mark this item as an exception.
    2. Go back to step 3
  5. If step 3 return nothing, then there are no more duplicates
  6. Proceed with the item from step 1