cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Selected List Item

jgregor4
Level 6
Not sure if i am missing something or if its an issue with the prodiuct, however I have noticed that when using MS Edge and looking to read the selected item in a drop down list - Blue Prism outputs this as a collection rather than a data item.
This means that we then have to add an additional step to set the collection value to where we need the data item to be.
I recall when using IE it would output as a Data Item so not sure why with Edge it is a collection (as only 1 value is read).
Does anyone know why this is or a better way to get a selected item from a drop down?
3 REPLIES 3

Hi James,

I think you necessarily do not even require the step where you set the collection value to a data item. You can always directly use the expression as [Selected Items.Column Name] as it is always going to reference the first row only at any given point of time. Also, the reason they have this activity I think is because at times we do multi select drop-downs as well and in such cases if you want to get all the elements properly you need a collection rather than a data item.
----------------------------------
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

jgregor4
Level 6
I guess the issue is that we are looking to read multiple data points to output as a single collection so unable to store the value directly.
If you were wanting to get the whole list in the drop down then then Get Items action would read them all - this is to get the single selected item so it feels like it should be a text item output rather than a collection

Hi James,

When you say- "read multiple data points to output as a single collection" So here are you reading different dropdown elements data into a single collection with one field and multiple rows is it?

Even if you have a collection, the point is as long as there is only row within it which has a value, you still can treat it the same way as a data item. I think for incorporating dual purposes they integrated the functionalities in one action itself.
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com