cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get the license information

JohnnyPrescott
Level 4
Hi, I need something very specific and it's concerning the license information. I want to get the actual number of license that are allowed on the current environment the process is running and (if possible), the number of currently used license. I am guessing this information is available somewhere but I couldn't find it in the DB, registry or locally in a file. I am missing it somewhere, I'm pretty sure but I've been searching for a while now without success.   I can handle any technical stuff if required but BluePrism must have that somewhere to manage the limit to not exceed. Thanks, John
5 REPLIES 5

david.l.morris
Level 14
There are two (at least) fairly easy ways to determine the number of concurrent sessions (some people say licenses but that's misleading) for environment. It depends on whether you have access to these two locations but it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem for you. In Blue Prism > System tab > System group > License: This will have a list of Installed Licenses. Add up the number of Sessions across the licenses. If there is only one license installed, then the number under the field 'Sessions' is the number of concurrent sessions you can run in that environment, as per (1) your agreement with Blue Prism as well as per (2) the technical limitation of the license file itself. So, if it says 10, then you can never go above 10 sessions running in Control Room in that environment at one time. Blue Prism (the software) will reject/ignore any attempts to run the 11th session concurrently. You can test this by dragging a process (must be background mode) onto a resource to create a pending session and then keep dragging the process onto that resource until you have (for example) 10 sessions pending. When you try to create an 11th pending session, it will not work and should give you an error indicating your license does not support it or whatever. In Blue Prism > Analytics tab: You can add a Tile from the Tile Library onto a Dashboard that will show your license limitation as well as your current license consumption. Right click on 'My Dashboards' and create a Personal Dashboard or Global Dashboard. Notice the Hamburger button at the top right that you have to click on in order to switch to/from edit mode. While in edit mode, go to the Tile Library tab (in Analytics tab) and drag/drop the Tile 'License Information' onto the dashboard you created. Then use the Hamburger button at the top right to save it. You'll see that it shows you your 'Limit' which is the max number of concurrent sessions you can run in the environment, and it will also show you how many sessions you are consuming currently under 'Used'. This only shows right now, not the highest you've consumed recently.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

JohnnyPrescott
Level 4
Thanks for your answer. However, I am searching for the location where the actual 'concurent session max' variable that i can fetch for use in a process. I don't want to spy the software and go into BluePrism for this. I was aware that these were there but I am searching for the location where the backend information is stored So I can fetch and use the number. For the currently running one, I can probably just count them in the BPAsession tables or something so this isn't an issue.

david.l.morris
Level 14
As far as I have seen, Blue Prism doesn't store things like that as a value in the database. It is all based on queries. There's a stored procedure you could use called 'BPDS_I_LicenseInformation'. That's where the License Information tile gets its data so that should tell you what you need to query to get the same data. Or I guess you could just call that stored procedure directly.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

JohnnyPrescott
Level 4
I don't have this stored procedure. however, we're still on version 5 so I guess this could be a new thing only.   considering this isn't hardcoded, it must be stored somewhere for them to detect we're overlimit. it's just a matter of where at this point. I'm probably the only one asking for this but well, I didn't wanted to hardcode our number of max session directly and wanted to retrieve the number instead. Thanks anyway.

Hi, I guess it is within the Blue Prism code which you can't access. Something like when you drag and drop a process to a runtime resource it calls some function which checks whether you exceeded the maximum number of concurrent sessions.