cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good practise quick question?

Hello team,

A quick question.

Is it good practice to call the Blue Prism DB tables to pull certain information?

I know changing something on this tables certainly pose a huge risk but I'm talking about just reading something out of this tables like session run details, WQ item status etc stats.

If so should users do it using BP only or it is fine to perform read operation from some other 3rd party tools as well?

What are your thoughts around this approach please share your advice and thoughts on the same.

------------------------------
If I was of assistance, please vote for it to be the "Best Answer".

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji - https://www.linkedin.com/in/tejaskumardarji/
Technical Lead
5 REPLIES 5

Babjee24
Level 7

Hi Tejas,

I agree to your opinion of reading details from DB directly would instantly fetch you desired results. But having access to third party applications for reading data would have impact on DB performance. Number of user hits to the DB will hamper the performance, frequent crashes might appear hence, regular maintenance should be done (even though the DB storage is large).

Earlier in my experience they used to have large DB but the number of requests that are hitting has caused outage many times resulting in getting hold of the development in BP. If you've a dedicated team for maintenance then having access to third party applications will have very effective and useful display on dashboards.

Babjee Vangipurapu
Senior RPA Developer
Wonderbotz
India

Babjee Vangipurapu
Senior RPA Developer
India

lookman
Staff
Staff

Hi Teja.

As you know, the BP DB is an operational system and we do not recommend running queries against it. That is why we suggest offloading the tables of interest into another DB so you can query as needed using Data Gateways or something similar.

jack

Jack Look
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism

harish.m
MVP

Hi tejas,

Is it good practice to call the Blue Prism DB tables to pull certain information? - No, Instead it would be better if you mirror the  Prod database and use the mirrored  database to read  the data and connect any 3rd part tool 

If so should users do it using BP only or it is fine to perform read operation from some other 3rd party tools as well? - As Mentioned above ideally mirroring the database  would be the best option  and connect any 3rd party tool to the mirrored database.

-----------------------
If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer"

Harish M
Lead developer
America/New_York TX

----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

We can query DB for lots of purpose but since risk is high so it is not followed in regular practice.  also we need to see how many hits DB is getting.

Only recommended way can be followed and with presence of Database team. Apart from monitoring activity like data gateway, i have not seen many customer are running query for other tasks. 

Neeraj Kumar

Thanks a lot guys for the good advice 🙂

If I was of assistance, please vote for it to be the "Best Answer".

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji - https://www.linkedin.com/in/tejaskumardarji/
Technical Lead