Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent and Child Queue

AndreZolana
Level 3
Hi All, 
I hope you are all doing alright, 
A quick question, I am stage to develop a process in which I have an excel file with column lines up to 3000, I am thinking to use the parent as the file name and the child as the column lines as they represent different products inside the excel file.
A colleague of mine advised me to use only t one queue which will be the parent  and column lines to be processed on the back end no need to show on the queue and the reason he advised if we add child it will be a very large queue and can cause issue later on supporting it and maintaining it.

any advice on the above?

------------------------------
Andre Zolana
1 REPLY 1

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hello @AndreZolana,

When you pick up a file name from the "parent" queue will the process work it completely, or might the process only work with it partially? I agree that using a second (aka "child") queue here is probably overkill. In the situation where the process works with the file completely there's no need to use a separate queue at all. You should maintain all of your state within the running process. With the situation where you only partially complete working on the file, you could include the file name and something like a Last Row Worked value the queue data. When a file is first added to the work queue, the Last Row Worked value is 0. After you've processed a few lines, you mark that work item completed in the queue and create a new work item with the same file name and the Last Row Worked value set to the row number of that last row you completed. ​

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange