cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many process can we run at a time on a run time resource?

eswara_raoseera
Level 2
How many process can we run at a time on a run time resource?   can we schedule two jobs at the same time on a runtimeresource/robot.
3 REPLIES 3

NarayanShrawagi
Level 6
It depends on licensing terms. Please check system>> Lincense ,their it specify how many concurrent process u can run at one time
Narayan

NoahSommerfeld
Level 3
On a technical level, a Business Object's 'run mode' that determine whether or not they can run in parallel with other objects on the same runtime resource. A process's 'run mode' is the most restrictive run mode used by all of the Business Objects it uses. The answer to how many can run at once is '1 Exclusive process' or '1 foreground process and unlimited Background processes'. Note that there's a solid risk of interference and by default, Business Objects are 'exclusive' but if your Object doesn't interact with any User Interfaces (i.e an object that only makes API calls or Regex parsing), then it's likely safe to set to 'background'.  On a licensing level, I've found that BP licenses restrict the number of processes you can run concurrently, rather than the number of 'bots' you have. For the implementations I've done, 5 background processes on one Runtime Resource counted the same as running a normal process on 5 Runtime resources. There's no way that I've found to 'parallelize' subprocesses or Action calls from within a main process without delving into a Code stage or kicking off external scripts.    Note that on a Terminal Server with multiple simultaneous Windows logons,  automate.exe started as a runtime resource using different ports will let you register each logon session as a separate runtime resource. 

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Your license determines how many processes can run at the same time. But whether you run each process on it's own machine, or all of them on one machine, is not controlled by the license and is up to you. In practice most of the time the ratio is 1:1, either because the apps the processes use can't run multiple sessions or the processes need sole access to the desktop (see Run Mode in the in-product Help). Some apps, such as mainframes, allow parallel sessions and BP doesn't need the UI to automate them. In such a scenario then it will be the power of the machine (RAM, disk space etc) that is the limiting factor - as an example an average PC could easily run 4 mainframe BP processes in parallel.