cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Rename an file existing in a folder using Utility - File Management ?

AnhadKashyap
Level 2
How to Rename an file existing in a folder using Utility - File Management ?
9 REPLIES 9

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
It doesn't seem you can - we haven't got that in the standard utility. I can't imagine it is more than a few lines of code so I'd recommend creating a new object and adding a code stage.

mikolaj_mackowi
Level 3
Use Move File action.

SnehasishMondal
Level 2
Use ""Move File"" using the same path but with a different name in the Destination Folder input, Or you can use the following code: My.Computer.FileSystem.RenameFile(Path, NewName)

vinodchinthakin
Level 9
Hi @Anhad Kashyap

You can use this VBO https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/113833/solution/atcs--rename-file-and-folder to rename any file or folder​

------------------------------
vinod chinthakindi

EmersonF
MVP
You can use the action to move and pass the same path just by changing the name of the folder, for example:
First paragraph
pathxpto / Folder
Second paragraph
pathxpto / NewNameFolder

Emerson Ferreira
Sr Business Analyst
Avanade Brasil
+55 (081) 98886-9544
If my answer helped you? Mark as useful!
Sr Cons at Avanade Brazil

Hi Emerson,

As I mentioned in previous reply, You can use this VBO https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/113833/solution/atcs--rename-file-and-folder to rename any file or folder​. It worked for me.
Still he wants to use utility file management then your solution will works. But in above mentioned VBO we can able to rename multiple files/folders in one go.

Hope this helps you.

vinod chinthakindi

I think this is basic and should be part of the native file management utility itself instead of going with a new 3rd party asset.

Kirk.Russell
Level 6

I was a bit puzzled by this post as have been using a Rename file action in my File Management vbo, however on checking this is in one of the vbo's we have named as Utility - BPC - File Management (Extended) that were added when we upgraded our platform last year. I checked the latest File Management vbo available and it doesn't have this action included. 

There are a number of these that seem to have some really useful actions not in the basic vbo, but these don't seem to get added to the vbos available on the DX. 

Any thoughts @ewilson ?

Kirk

An action to rename files has been in the VBO since as long as I can remember, so at least since 2017. It is "Move File". It's just not intuitive that you can use it for this. I agree that the VBO really should have an action called Rename File. It could even just call Move File as a subpage reference. In our case, we just created a new action called Rename File so developers could find the action by assuming what it would likely be called.

Dave Morris, 3Ci at Southern Company