cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to extract text from the selected option in a windows application?

NagallaPhaneesh
Level 2
Hi... I'm working on a windows healthcare application. I need to select a diagnosis from the window in a pool of other diagnoses. I've tried using "Select item" action in the navigation stage, but its not working.
Can anyone please let me know a way to read the text from line/option in window so that I can compare it with other string value located in my process.

(I can actually try spying the elements individually, but there are 100's of diagnoses options. There are many options to scroll down and select.)

Thanks in advance : )
Phaneesh N.

------------------------------
Nagalla Phaneesh Kumar
3 REPLIES 3

PvD_SE
Level 12
Hi Phanees,

Are all of the 100s of diagnosis options in the same 'field' in the application panel or are they all different fields on the screen?

If one field:
Spy the field and read it. After that, extract data to a text or collection data item. Select what you want.

If multiple fields:
You probably have to read them all. They are likely identical to eachother with the difference of the matching index. This matching index is sort of a sequence number for identical fields. If more identical fields are found, they can be read by setting the match index to 1 for the first, 2 for the second etc. You can read each field into a row of a collection. Once you've read them all, you can select from the collation what you want to work with.

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden
(By all means, do not mark this as the best answer!)

PRASANTHM
Level 5
Hi Nagalla,

For Selecting the particular Item (diagnoses) from a pool of other Items (diagnoses) like (COMBO BOX/ DROP DOWN)

You can try it below, But before that, we should know how humans select the item. Example=> you need to select the 70th Item, some people scroll up to the 70th Item. some people simply type the diagnoses Name. Based on the application feature select appropriate spying and their action

20719.png

For Reading particular text you can use WIN mode or AA mode. Hope it'll be helpful for you

Thanks
Prasanth
Software Engineer | RPA Developer
Thanks Prasanth Software Engineer | RPA Developer

Merry Christmas and happy new year @PvD_SE and @PRASANTHM First of all, Thanks for your reply.
The diagnoses that I need to select are in the same window pane. I need to double click on the string to select it, or go to the string and click Enter. I've Spied the window and tried using "Select menu item" action. But it's not working. Here is the window screenshot for your reference.
20720.png
For example, If I need to select "Christmas disease", first I should go to the string location and click Enter/Double-click.
Reading the window content is not required. I'm facing the problem with selecting the option.

Thank you : )
​​​​​

Nagalla Phaneesh Kumar