cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pick the file on instant availability, with out scheduling the bot.

Ramana_ReddyBee
Level 3
I have a requirement like as soon as available file in folder instantly that should pick the file, for the time i am managing by scheduling bot with some time interval , but now i needed to read the file instantly on available, files use to be inflow in to my folder at any point of time.   Thanks, Ramana Reddy.
6 REPLIES 6

BenKirimlidis
Level 7
You could do it by having a robot contantly check the files availablilty but that will tie up one of your licences constantly. To the best fo my knowledge, this isn't possible at the moment, BP has no way of monitoring for a file and using it as a trigger. You can create schedule to run every few minutes but that is also nto exactly ideal.  Maybe someone else will have a better idea. Sorry Ramana! Best of luck

david.l.morris
Level 14
If you have various tasks that a centralized process could perform, then you could dedicate one session/license to be consumed 24/7 in order to perform those tasks. For example, if you had 10 licenses (technically 1 license that can run 10 concurrent sessions) and you had 9 Processes that may or may not need to run simultaneously, you could consume 1 session of your license with a process that just checks a list of file/folder locations, looking for input files. This process itself could take an input of an Excel spreadsheet that lists out the folder locations, input file names/locations, processes associated with those input files, resources on which the processes should be run, etc. Then you'd use the Utility - AutomateC object to spin up sessions of the processes whenever they are needed. This is called Dynamic Scheduling and there's some info on it in the Documents section of the Portal. If this sounds complex, it actually can be quite easy. It just depends on how dynamic you need it to be. At a very basic level, you may have one process per machine so that you always know the machine will be available for use by that process. Then business users could drop input files into the input directory any time they like. Of course, you could go really easy with it. Give the business user a batch file that they can run any time they like. So, they would (1) drop the input file where it goes and (2) run the batch file that sends a command to Blue Prism to spin up the session that they're allowed to run. In 6.3+ you can restrict which processes they are allowed to run so you don't get crazy things happening.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Ramana_ReddyBee
Level 3
Dear David, Thanks for your valueble time and for giving possible approaches for this scenario thank you once again for prompt response. @Ben: Thanks for your comment

AndreyKudinov
Level 10
Problem is that you'd still need a license to be available at the specific moment in time that file happens to appear, so it doesn't matter if you are doing it externally or just in a looped blueprism process. But here is some external waiting option: https://superuser.com/questions/226828/how-to-monitor-a-folder-and-trig…

david.l.morris
Level 14
Legit! I like that better.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

BenKirimlidis
Level 7
Very nifty!