cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use MS Outlook Email VBO

TaronWright
Level 2

I don't understand how to use the "MS Outlook Email VBO"? I want it to just connect to my inbox and anything. But there doesn't seem to be a launch or login stage or anything like this. I read on other Threads that the VBO only needs to have Outlook installed on the local machine which it is in my case. 

35438.png
When I run the "Get Received Items (Basic)" and pass no parameters just to see what would be returned, I get the following error message.
"Internal : Could not execute code stage because exception thrown by code stage: Specified cast is not valid."

Can someone please explain to me how this VBO works please?

1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi @Taron Wright 

The outlook vbo is a direct connection and doesnt require to automate the user interface which is why there is no launch or login actions and works in the background. For extracting emails you just need to enter the criteria for the emails you want to search for such as the email address, the subject line for the emails (optional), the earliest date you want to search from (optional), the latest date to search to(optional). Keep in mind that if you leave criteria blank and only specify the mailbox to search in then you get all the emails in that mailbox and if there are a lot you might have issues with memory which is why its important to try and specify criteria such as subject to limit the number of emails returned. 

You can also search shared mailboxes but you need to have added these into outlook as a separate mailbox and then specify this as the mailbox you want to search. An example of the inputs are shown below.

35437.png

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Taron Wright 

The outlook vbo is a direct connection and doesnt require to automate the user interface which is why there is no launch or login actions and works in the background. For extracting emails you just need to enter the criteria for the emails you want to search for such as the email address, the subject line for the emails (optional), the earliest date you want to search from (optional), the latest date to search to(optional). Keep in mind that if you leave criteria blank and only specify the mailbox to search in then you get all the emails in that mailbox and if there are a lot you might have issues with memory which is why its important to try and specify criteria such as subject to limit the number of emails returned. 

You can also search shared mailboxes but you need to have added these into outlook as a separate mailbox and then specify this as the mailbox you want to search. An example of the inputs are shown below.

35437.png

TaronWright
Level 2

@Michael ONeil  That is working for me now thank you very much for your help. I'm guessing that since I didn't pass any parameters there were too many emails and there was a memory issues as you stated.