cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue in spying elements using Google Chrome Browser

SwaroopSarkar
Level 3

We are unable to spy the elements of a web application which uses Google Chrome browser. We observed inconsistent behaviour of the web application wherein robot can identify the elements in Chrome browser of DEV region but not in QAS & PROD region. We are using Citrix VDI in all the environments. 

This web application has been converted to https and post which the elements are not getting recognized.

Can anyone please provide any solution for this or why is this issue occurring.

------------------------------
Swaroop Sarkar
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @Swaroop Sarkar,

Did you try appending "--force-renderer-accessibility"​ in the URL of the chrome browser?
Also, can you please check if the chrome versions are same in all the environments?

Manpreet Kaur
Manager
Deloitte

JeffreyMcCormic
Level 4
Swaroop,
      I would also check and ensure that the elements you are using to identify the items are the same across all environments.  Sometimes, depending on which elements you are using to identify, they may be different.

Also, if the URLs are different across the environments, ensure that you aren't using the element which includes the URL.  If the URLs don't match exactly, it will never properly identify.

Jeffrey McCormick
Cybersecurity Consultant
Fidelity Investments
America/New_York

Thanks Jeffrey for your input. However, I am using the same URL across all environments.
I would also like to highlight that I am using BP version 6.4 and this is a constraint for me. I am not allowed to upgrade to higher version of BP.

Swaroop Sarkar

Thanks Manpreet for you suggestion.

I have tried using ​appending "--force-renderer-accessibility"​ in the URL of the chrome browser but even that does not work.
I would also like to highlight that I am using BP version 6.4 and this is a constraint for me. I am not allowed to upgrade to higher version of BP.

Swaroop Sarkar

Can you please suggest which version of Chrome should I use?

Swaroop Sarkar

Hi Swaroop,

We've seen similar issues in our environment and I've found that usually it's the attach or launch action that aren't set correctly.  Are you able to run your object in debug in the higher environments?  If so, can you confirm that the bot can spy any element in the browser window, or is it just the outer window that's available? If just the outer window, check your attach/launch carefully.  Try updating your window titles, adding a process name, and utilizing child index of 0 or 1 on attach stages. Add an attach page call and "attached?" decision at the top of every action page in the object to make sure you're attached before navigating.  Confirm your launch is the true URL, not some refresh redirect and that there are no unnecessary parameters or settings.  Another way to test is to put your launch in the object that's failing (assuming you have multiple objects for the application per best practices?) and see if the elements are available.  If the "basic actions" object (launch, log in, etc.) works and subsequent objects do not, that's another indicator that the attach isn't working properly.

Also, my understanding is that the force renderer parameter is to enable UIA mode and won't have an impact on browser mode spying or elements (but I could very well be incorrect there).  That said, if you can't get browser mode to work in the other environments and you're otherwise stuck completely, UIA might be a good option.  Again, though, I've usually found that if you can't spy any elements within the window in anything other than UIA, the attach probably didn't work correctly.

I would further recommend adding a match index of 1 to each element if you don't already have it- sometimes when BP says it can't find something it's really because it finds too many of that something. I vaguely remember this being a point of confusion for me personally when we were on 6.4.

Hope this helps.

Diane Sanzone

Thanks for the contribution @ManpreetKaur1 this has solved an issue currently experienced by a significant customer in the region.

Presales Support
Presales Support
Blue Prism
Europe/London

Glad to know the solution helped a customer @presales-support 🙂

Manpreet Kaur
Manager
Deloitte
*If you find this post helpful mark it as Best Answer