cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAVA Azul and Blue Prism

kaja.judyta
Level 3
Hi all,
We are planning to decommission JAVA (Oracle) in our company by end of this year. It will be replaced by JAVA Azul in CITRIX farm.  For the moment, we use Blue Prism with Java Access Bridge API to interact with Java based application elements (Sun/Oracle JRE packages).
We do not know if JAVA Azul has same libraries as the Java Access Bridge and whether it will work with Blue Prism. I could not found any information regarding this in BP documentation.

Is there a possibility that using a different JAVA distribution might cause some issues for Blue Prism? Will there be any impact?

------------------------------
Kaja Nowakowska
5 REPLIES 5

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @kaja.judyta,

I can't say with 100% certainty that you won't have issues as I haven't tested this myself. What I can say is Java Access Bridge is part of the OpenJDK specification. It's not Oracle or Blue Prism specific per se.​

Java Access Bridge is a technology that enables Java applications, that implement the Java Accessibility API, to be visible to assistive technologies (ex. Screen Readers for the visually impaired) on Microsoft Windows systems.

Azul taunts themselves as "the worlds largest largest commercial provider of OpenJDK", so I imagine you'll be good to go.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

TobiasArnold
Level 6
Hi Kaja,

my company had done the same in spring this year.
Good news first: Azul Java will work with Blue Prism. You have to enable a different Java Access Bridge, but it works.
The bad news: In our oppinion Azul Java isn't as stable as it should be. It seems that e.g. quering the control tree to early (e.g. the page hasn't finished rendering), results in a JRE crash with a modal message box. Since migrating from Oracle to Azul we have to gear into into the running robots manually to solve such crashs.

Tobias Arnold
RPA Developer
ITERGO GmbH
Europe/Duesseldorf

Thank you for the answers. I think we will proceed with Java AZUL in this case, as it might work, but hard to tell until not fully tested and there is no guide from Blue Prism how to do it with Azul Java.

There is a discussion on BP Ideas Portal about Blue Prism not supporting OpenJDK (and Under Consideration as and idea for improvement): Idea Details

Also even if we set it up correctly there still is a possibility it will not work since Blue Prism was not built to use this JRE/JDK.

Kaja Nowakowska
Application Operations
Deutsche Börse AG

Hi @Tobias Arnold

You mentioned you have to enable a different Java Access Bridge for Azul Java. What is this different one you're referring to? A certain version or something different?

Dave Morris
3Ci at Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Hi Dave,

as far as I'm understanding the java access bridge concept every java installation brings its own java acess bridge. If you would like to intercact with azul java to have to execute the follwing command first. Maybe a login/logout is needed too.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Zulu\zulu-8-jre\bin\jabswitch.exe" -enable

Tobias Arnold
RPA Developer
ITERGO GmbH
Europe/Duesseldorf