cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Balancing with BP 6.2

BrianKirby
Level 2
Has anyone successfully set up hardware load balancing using BP 6.x?  Is there a specific connection mode that I need to select?  The current load balancing guide is for 5.x which doesn't use WCF, so it's not helpful as it seems that the .net remoting of 5.x needs different settings from the WCF in 6.x (like sticky/persistent  sessions).   We are attempting to use WCF with Message Encryption, but receive error messages that indicate to me that the security negotiation is not working.  When I connect using WCF Insecure, I can connect successfully.   I'm wondering if we need to use WCF with Transport Encryption and put a Cert on the load balancer, but I can't test that without buying a cert (per company policy)   Here's the error message I receive: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityNegotiationException: The caller was not authenticated by the service. ---> System.ServiceModel.FaultException: The request for security token could not be satisfied because authentication failed.
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well the load balancer does need a cert. It is the connection point that is first in the process. So for it to work the you will need to buy the cert. If you have Active Directory and a CA setup you can use an AD generated cert to get it done. AD can be used for internal but external then a Cert from a public CA is required.

BrianKirby
Level 2
Thanks mwrig072, This is an internal deployment, but unfortunately our security department doesn't allow us to use an internal CA.  I'm not sure if we even have one.  So just to clarify, we'll need to configure the connection to use ""WCF: SOAP with Transport Encryption and Windows Authentication"" connection method (as we are using AD auth), request a cert and apply the cert on the load balancer?    

BrianKirby
Level 2
Once the firewall was opened between our clients and the load balancer everything worked successfully.  It seems like the server had issues with the load balancer because the same server was on both sides of the load balancer.  So we were able to get WCF with Message Encryption and Windows Auth working through our load balancer without having to switch to Transport Encryption and putting a cert on the load balancer.