cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logs set to error only. What is expected behavior of this set up.

We have set Log errors only at the process level and at the resource level as well.

But still, we are noticing a heavy increase in BPASessionLog_NonUnicode table.

I want to understand the end-to-end behavior of Log error only set up.

Let's say if an exception is encountered after that also it will keep logging errors only right for the next items? Or will it keep logging everything after the first exception?

------------------------------
Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji
Sr. RPA Consultant-Automation Developer
2 REPLIES 2

ewilson
Staff
Staff

Hi @Tejaskumar_Darji,

There are generally two types of logging ​in Blue Prism: Session Logs (which are written to the DB) and what I'll refer to as Traditional Logs (which are written to the Windows Event Viewer and regular log files).

As you've pointed out, we're talking about session logs. By default, logging is enabled on all new stages created for a process, and all new Exception stages created for an object. The logging option can be changed for all (or a selection of) stages via the Edit menu. It can also be set at the Resource level. The possible levels are Enabled, Disabled, and Errors Only

In your case, since you've set session logging to Errors Only at both the Process and Resource level you should only be seeing information related to stages that encounter an error. I believe you'll still see a Start and End entry for each process session too regardless of session log level though. 

One thing I need to check is related to input parameters on Action stages. The documentation states that if logging is not disabled on a specific Action stage, any input parameters will be logged unless you click the Don't log parameters on this stage checkbox. So that could be were you're seeing an increase in the table size.

Have you tried viewing any of those session logs to see what's there?

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

ewilson
Staff
Staff
@Tejaskumar_Darji,

I ran a few tests and here's what I found. With Session logging set to Errors Only there​ are entries in the session log for:
  • Creation of the session log. Even if you don't encounter any errors in the process there will still be a single entry for the creation of the session log.
  • An entry for the exception that was raised
  • An entry for the Action stage that caused the exception.
None of the following stages were logged as long as they didn't encounter any errors.

16268.png
Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange