cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Edge Extension Issues

EnzoSmith
Level 4
Hi All,

I'm running various processes in VM's using MS Edge and using Blue Prism v6.10.1. In recovery's i have Close EDGE so the window is closed gently rather than using kill process or terminate.  After this i have a Launch, but the issue i am having is when it is retrying the process falls over and the log states:

Failed to perform step 1 in Navigate Stage 'Launch Oracle' on page 'Launch' - The browser extension was not detected, please check that it has been installed and enabled. For more information, see the browser extension user guide. https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-10/en-us/Guides/chrome-firefox/chrome-firefox.htm

If i log into the VM and open Edge the extension is active and available, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension but i still keeping the error.

I am also using Java and that is also being closed gently instead of kill or terminate. 

No matter which way i close down the environments (gently or harshly) i keep getting that error on the retrying to launch EDGE again.

Only way round it is to log out of the VM and log back in.  

Our organisation is also transitioning to move most of our process from IE to EDGE and this is causing big problems when the VM's are running over night.

Any suggestions?

------------------------------
Enzo
18 REPLIES 18

tok
Level 3
Hi
We had a similar problem. We fixed by doing this:
If we terminate the browser the next time we open Edge the restore pages dialog appears.
If that happens we have to close the dialog and close the browser again (gently).
The next time the browser is opened the dialog is gone and Edge works again.

We're on BP 6.10

Cheers
Troels Krogh

Troels Krogh
IT Consultant
HK Danmark

Hi Both

There's a relatively easy Blue Prism way, and a more complex Group Policy way.

Blue Prism way
- at the completion of a process do not use a Terminate step, instead use SEND KEY EVENTS with "<{CTRL}{W}>{CTRL}" to close the window. This drastically reduces the chances of getting the restore pages error on relaunch. (For extra safety you can follow that with a short wait, then a Terminate, inside a block to catch the errors)

- at the start of a process use a 'Read Process Working Set' to check for any instances of 'msedge' that are running. If any are running then call 'Kill Process' to terminate them. Note that this WILL cause the problem with restore pages to appear

- when you first open Edge on your launch stage, wait a few seconds, then use CTRL+W as above to do a gentle close. Wait a few more seconds then launch again. As the most recent close was a gentle one, the browser will not show the restore pages prompt.

Group Policy way (untested)
Older versions of Edge would allow you to suppress the restore pages prompt, originally with a setting, then later with a registry key. Unfortunately both of these were depreciated by Microsoft.

The most recent advice I have seen for how to suppress this is to use a Group Policy setting, see the final part of this article:  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-restore-pages-notification-in-edge-browser

Chris Cutting
Real Time Development Consultant
BT
Europe/London

Hi Both, thanks for the suggestions,

i have tried you responses previously, however i can not run the action stage Launch once i close it, i spied the whole window using win-32 to close the window down gently which is the same as clicking on the X on the top right. 

But soon as i try launching edge again i get the browser is not installed error.

Enzo Smith

Its known issue with BluePrism for Edge browser. Try following steps. hope it will work. 
 -  Launch Application 
- Put static wait for few seconds say (5 or 10 seconds)
- When you close application then don't terminate just exit from edge 
- After exit from edge wait few second then Launch application (Don't exit and launch immediately)

Devendra Kumar Prajapati
Tech Lead
Infosys
Europe/London
Devendra Kumar Prajapati RPA Manager Infosys Chandigarh, India

Hi Devendra,

Thanks for the reply,  i have tried that but again i am unable to Launch Edge to even close it due to the browser extension error. Due to the error i am unable to open the Edge window at all, so it not even on screen.

Enzo Smith

You could try using a second object to restore Edge

Instead of setting the object up as a browser, use the windows application mode
Set the launch to run the msedge.exe from within program files
After launch spy the whole window in Win32 mode
Then use either Win32 or CTRL+W or ALT+F4 to close, depending on your preference

Then try a re-launch of the main browser object

Chris Cutting
Real Time Development Consultant
BT
Europe/London

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this suggestion, please see below to confirm this is the way you mention, this is how the Object for Launching Edge is currently set.

16644.png

Enzo Smith

Hi Enzo

I have uploaded a stripped down verison what we're using. Maybe that will help.

It seems the issue might have been  addressed in the release notes og 6.10.3:

Description of change

Reference

An intermittent issue resulting in a Browser extension was not detected error that prevented elements from being spied no longer occurs when attempting to launch a Chrome, Edge, or Firefox browser via the Application Modeller. The error occurred either in Studio or when running an automation, in the following scenarios:

• When a process that uses a browser extension is terminated and another process immediately attempts to open another browser before the socket becomes available.
  • When attempting to launch a browser immediately after it has been closed. This has been fixed by automatically trying every 200 milliseconds for up to 2 minutes when terminating the browser. If the browser does not successfully close, an error message warns the user to ensure all browsers with the Blue Prism browser extension installed are closed before continuing.

Troels Krogh
IT Consultant
HK Danmark

Hi Troels, where do i get the stripped down version you uploaded?

Really appreciate your help.

Enzo Smith