cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Outlook VBO cannot read mails

AnthonyMullen
Level 4
Hi all,
I recently changed from using EWS Mail VBO to MS Outlook VBO because I am using O365 outlook instead of ON PREM Exchange.
The reason I moved is that EWS is deprecated by microsoft.
However using MS Outlook VBO I can send emails but cannot read emails
I can do both on my ON Prem but cannot do both on O365 outlook.

can anyone help with this please?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------
Anthony Mullen
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi all,

This is now working with solution below. I am not fully sure WHY it is now working but thanks for all help and hopfully this post will help others in future.

> When I read mail I got RPC error. 
> I changed Trust settings to never warn me and still same error.
> When I got this error I was logged in as USER A but was using USER B's Outlook profile.
> I logged in as brand new BOT user BOTA and set up outlook with brand new BOT user BOTA, no other user profiles set up in outlook for this login session only BOTA
> Now I can read mails
> I did NOT upgrade VBO, using VBO that ships with BP 6.8.3

This was my solution, if anyone has insight into this I would love to know your opinion on why this happened. I Saw much online about the RPC error and the Mircrosoft.Office.Interop packages but nothing like what i saw.

Kind Regards
Anthony

Anthony Mullen

View answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Neel1
MVP
Hello @Anthony Mullen - Please confirm if you are using the latest MS OUTLOOK VBO from dx

also are you getting error when you say that you can not read mails?
you are trying to read from shared Mailbox or primary mailbox?​

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect

Hi @Neeraj Kumar,

thanks for your reply, The MS VBO I am using is from recent upgrade to 6.8.3. It was confirmed with Blue prism that this is latest version but I am not sure how to compate it with the DX one? Is there anyting in the XML file that will indicate this?

Also I am reading from a primary mailbox. I have 2 profiles set up on my outlook. One is ON prem and works perfect. One is O365 and does not work.
Same machine, same outlook instance the only difference is the accounts and the service they are using.

Let me know if you need more informationon this

Kind regards

Anthony Mullen

Hello @Anthony Mullen,

Whoever confirmed that for you was mistaken. The latest Outlook VBO is available on the Digital Exchange. You can find it at the link below. Always go to the Digital Exchange for the latest release of any Blue Prism VBOs. The VBOs that are still being included in the installer are not the latest, and they will be removed from the installer in an upcoming release.

https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/3439/solution/ms-outlook-vbo

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Hi @Eric Wilson
Thank you for pointing me to this.
I have a question about this VBO, I have been informed that VBO's on the DX are not supported by blue prism so if they do not work I am relying on the developer for VBO for support. Is this correct?​ This is why I am using the one from release?

Also I managed to get it working by changing setting in Outlook > Options > Trust Center settings > Programmatic Access = Never warn me...
Does this sound familiar or is this not required in most recent version of VBO?

Thanks for help

Kind Regards.

Anthony Mullen

Hello @Anthony Mullen,

That is not correct. There are essentially three types of assets on the DX when it comes to support:
  • Blue Prism/SS&C Supported
  • Provider Supported (ex. ATCS, Reveal Group, RPA Supervisor, etc)
  • Community Supported​

The easiest way to see how an asset is supported is to look at its asset page on the DX. The screenshot below is from the Outlook VBO on the DX:

17193.png
As you can see, it is supported by SS&C/Blue Prism. There are a large number of assets on the DX that are Community supported though. However, we have a very active community here that's quick to help other users.

Regarding the Trust Center settings, yes that one has popped up a few times in the past. I'm not exactly sure why it is required for some people. Usually, you can use the "Only warn me if antivirus is not running" setting, and that's what we typically advise.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

HI @ewilson

Thanks for getting back to me.
I can see that this VBO is supported and tested for BP Version 6.5 as you mentioned in a previous post.

I will update the VBO and try get this working I am using BP 6.8.3

Thanks for help and I will confirm if this is working when I get it installed.

kind Regards​

Anthony Mullen

Hi all,

This is now working with solution below. I am not fully sure WHY it is now working but thanks for all help and hopfully this post will help others in future.

> When I read mail I got RPC error. 
> I changed Trust settings to never warn me and still same error.
> When I got this error I was logged in as USER A but was using USER B's Outlook profile.
> I logged in as brand new BOT user BOTA and set up outlook with brand new BOT user BOTA, no other user profiles set up in outlook for this login session only BOTA
> Now I can read mails
> I did NOT upgrade VBO, using VBO that ships with BP 6.8.3

This was my solution, if anyone has insight into this I would love to know your opinion on why this happened. I Saw much online about the RPC error and the Mircrosoft.Office.Interop packages but nothing like what i saw.

Kind Regards
Anthony

Anthony Mullen

Quick update on this.

I reverted the Trust center settings back to default and still working.
In conclusion I think the reason is follows:

> It did not work when I was running the process in BP with an account that was NOT the same as Outlook profile selected in the process.
This is the only thing I can think of.

Cheers

Anthony Mullen