cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes Restart Issue

MatyasHorvath
Level 3
Hi Fellow Developers I have built a process interacting with Notes Basic (both Front End + Back End database read/write). However when I try to restart (Terminate/Launch) notes, some connection/background processes stay running and I'm not able to start notes again. (I tried using Killnotes + Zap Notes however these are killing the Blueprism application as well). Any ideas on how I could close / start notes without facing these issues? Thanks for your answers Matyas
4 REPLIES 4

DexterWhelan1
Level 4
Hi Matyas, Have you tried all methods of killing the notes application? I have no familiarity with Notes Basic but here's the few ways I know of to try kill an application to test out and see if you get different results. A) Try killing it with a Navigate stage in an object for that application B) use the Utility - Kill Process Action and give it a list of all known processes that Basic Notes uses and kill them until Blueprism can't see them anymore C) Try making an object to click on the 'x' at the top of the application D) try making a batch file that Blueprism can execute externally from it's running behaviour E) try making a VB Script that will kill a process after 'x' seconds/minutes F) try it manually, interact with your application in debug mode and then terminate Basic Notes manually and if that causes Blueprism to not shutdown ten you know it's possible to terminate the application without affecting Blueprism I have never heard of Zap Notes and Killnotes, so I presume they are objects you have internal on your own system. Might be worth your time exploring them and seeing exactly what they do to understand why BP is shutting down also.

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
It sounds like you need to close the app down the same way a user would. Terminate is the same as Task Manager -> End Process, and some apps do not like to be closed in this 'brutal' way. Also, some apps don't close down quickly and you need to wait for them to fade away before launching again.

MatyasHorvath
Level 3
Hi All Thanks for the inputs, closing down as a ""normal user"" - Alt+F4 is working 80% of the cases. However sometimes it hangs (I use terminate / kill task). When I try to restart notes I get following: Notes is still running but not responding. -> A diagnostic will run to clean up Notes. -> Then after it is done Blue prism is terminated. Seems like the back end connection is still active somehow and notes cleanup is closing BP also. Any ideas on how I could disconnect the back end session: (using: NotesSession (LotusScript))? (tried quit/close/disconnect.. nothing works) Thanks Matyas

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
It definitely sounds like the app doesn't respond well to Terminate. So I would concentrate on getting the 'clean' close to work every time. Could it be there is a timing issue, eg the window is not active when ALT F4 is sent? Would it be worth have 2 or 3 attempts to send the keys? Or could you use the Close Window action instead of keystrokes?