cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open File for another application

ThabisoThebe
Level 2
Hi Guys.

I've successfully managed to open the application and open folder window in Qlikview by spying.

My current solution has been spying on the buttons and clicking on the files using the file name (static)

1. Firstly is there a shorter way to open folders and select files for other applications such as Qlikview
2. Is there a way to make the selection dynamic

------------------------------
Thabiso Thebe
1 REPLY 1

Carl__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Thabiso,

Generally, applications have command line arguments or parameters enabled, which enables your to provide a value or instruction to the application at launch time.

A lot of the time, the application will allow you to specify the document to open in the application at launch, by simply providing the document path+name as a command line argument.

Google "Qlikview command line arguments" to find a list of valid arguments for this application.

There are a few options for using command line arguments in Blue Prism; I will demo 2 of these!

Option 1
Use the command line parameters field in Application Modeller to provide the location of the file to open when launching the application. The example below will open the document named BrandStatement.txt in Notepad.exe when Blue Prism launches Notepad.
10829.png

I assume you will need to open different files at run-time. You can do this through the Navigate stage using a Launch Action, and supplying the path to the document to open in the 'CommandLineParams' input parameters field.

10830.png

Option 2
Use the Utility - Environment standard Blue Prism utility Business Object which can be imported from the Blue Prism Digital Exchange (search for Environment Blue Prism).

• Add an Action to your Process
  • Select Utility - Environment from the Business Object drop-down list
  • Select Start Process from from the Action drop-down list
  • Set the Application input parameter to the path to your *.exe (C:\.......\Qlikview.exe)
  • Set the Arguments input parameter to the location of the file to open at launch

10831.png

If you are looking to achieve something different, please provide a little more information.

Carl Carter
Developer Program Manager
Blue Prism
Europe/London