cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open MS Word Template

jgregor4
Level 6
I have a process that needs to open word document to complete set fields.  As I have multiple resources running the document was set as a template to prevent it being locked to a user however the standard "Open" action in the Word VBO seems to be opening the Template document rather than creating a New document of the template.  Does anyone have a suggestion or a code stage that would open a new document of the template to prevent document locking?
1 REPLY 1

david.l.morris
Level 14
I'm not sure how to accomplish that using a template/existing actions. However, if your issue is that your process (that will run on multiple resources simultaneously) needs to not lock the template document, why not just use a regular, non-template document but instead of opening the file, could you use Utility - File Management > Copy File and then name the file uniquely to include the current date/time and machine name and then it doesn't matter how many resource want to access that file, the original will be left untouched and there should be no issue of locking.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA