cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of memory exceptions and collection clean up

NicholasZejdlik
Level 9
I have been running into an increasing number of OutOfMemory exceptions when launching processes. The issue is definitely not memory availability, nor is Blue Prism using too much memory. I came across a support article that goes into more depth on it, which says that not emptying collections after using them could contribute to the problem.

Not emptying Collections when the Process or Object no longer requires them to exist (e.g. Remove Null Rows, Remove Empty Rows or Remove All Rows)

Once the process completes, will the collections used by the process/objects be freed automatically? I always assumed this was the case, that once a process completes any internal collections would be freed automatically by Blue Prism. The specific robot running into the out of memory issues is dealing with collections - small ones - but it runs many processes with many small collections many times. If for some reason the collections are not freed automatically when a process completes, then it would likely be the source of my issue.

------------------------------
Nicholas Zejdlik
RPA Developer
10 REPLIES 10

It seems I spoke too soon - while the calls to GC.Collect() have helped, the problem still comes up, just takes a lot longer before it does. I am wondering at this point if it is a business object holding onto memory somewhere or if the number of sessions being run on the robot is contributing to this (it runs about 750 sessions / day).

Nicholas Zejdlik
RPA Developer