cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook VBO Not reading all emails

karankalia
Level 2
Hello All

I am using Outlook VBO with my process and in that i am using "Get Recieved item (Basic)" action, with filter as unread = true and read = True, but it is not providing all the emails from the inbox.

Sometimes it is giving out few of the emails only and it is getting difficult for me to know the proper reason.

------------------------------
karan kalia

5 REPLIES 5

kez2fab
Staff
Staff
Hello Karan,

difficult to say what could be happening.

As a starting point, have you noticed any patterns in the email that have not been retrieved from the mailbox?
Specific sender, subject, mails with attachment, etc...?
Are the mails not retrieved in subfolders?

Are you using any filters outside of unread=true and read=true?
If not, you are basically retrieving all emails from the mailbox?
How many emails are you trying to retrieve in any one execution? A dozen, hundreds, thousands?

One thing of note is that the VBO Code shows it only retrieves 'MailItem'. Nothing else.
So for example, it will not retrieve calendar invites.

I think at this stage, you should try and find a pattern on what is not being retrieved.

Regards,

Anthony Ringot
Senior Support Engineer

BenKirimlidis
Level 7

Hi Karam,

Just a suggestion, we are not using the Outlook VBO yet but your problem sounds very familiar to one I had working with MapiEX.

The Issue I faced:
I had an inbox with many outlook rules to sort emails based on the subject line.  Robot tries to get all th emails but very frequently​ would not see them all.

The problem:
Outlook had not run all the rules properly and not all the emails were sorted.  If I opened outlook the emails would all instantly appear where they were supposed to be and there would be no problem.

My Solution:
Created a simple object to open Outlook.  Leave it open for 30 seconds so all the rules run and the emails would be sorted into the corrects folder. Then closed outlook.  This runs at the beginning of the process.

There are probably much better solutions but this was the quick and easy solution so we could move on.  Best of luck!

Kind regards,

Ben

Ben Kirimlidis
RPA Developer and Data Analyst
PTSB
Europe/London

Hello Anthony

there was no pattern as it is not taking random emails, as all the emails are coming with almost same subject

Yes filters are the both and I am retrieving all the emails that's correct, and per day it will be almost 30 emails at max.

I am retrieving only emails not calendars also all the mails which are retrieving are from Inbox folder not any subfolder.

Thanks
Karan Kalia

karan kalia
Consultant
EY
Asia/Kolkata

Hello Ben

I tried with the same, but then emails sending started acting weirdly.as Bot was not able to send email and all the emails are in draft section only.

So the above solution didn't worked well.

Thanks
Karan Kalia

karan kalia
Consultant
EY
Asia/Kolkata

Hi Karan,
 I would suggest to keep outlook open. So for that use start process and open it wait for 30 seconds. Bt don't close it. Because what MS OUTLOOk VBO does is, if outlook is not open, it will try to trigger outlook.exe in  back end and then after performing required action it will close that instance.
You can test it out by using send email simply. Open you task manager and use send mail to send a test mal then you can observer, outlook.exe will trigger in task manager.
But for receiving mail it is very difficult to refresh complete mail in this sort span of time.
So i would suggest open outlook using start process wait for some time then filter using Blue Prism VBO. Otherwise test the same by manually opening outlook and see if it works or not.

Let me know if it works. I have faced the same issue and above way it is working fine.

Amlan Sahoo
RPA Consultant
Equinix
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo