cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook VBO in Blue Prism 6.6

NickiKristensen
Level 4
Hi,

After upgrading our development server to Blue Prism 6.6, we have started to experience a strange problem with the Outlook VBO.
If we fill out a couple of the input fields, we quickly receive the following error message:
"The Input Parameter Value charcter limit (255) has been exceeded. Please reduce the number of characters."
12329.png

We don't have this problem on our test or production server running Blue Prism 6.5.

Have anyone else experienced this? Or is it supposed to be file this?
We have found a workaround, instead writing a subject, a message, and the receivers directly in the value field, we can use separate data items instead.

------------------------------
Nicki Kristensen
RPA Developer
IBC International Business College
4 REPLIES 4

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Nicki - I can't see that message coded into in the VBO, so could be that it's coming from the Outlook API. Is there anything odd about the mail in question, eg does it have a huge subject line?

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John

Thanks for the reply, I just find it odd that the error should be coming from the Outlook API - both or development and test servers run the same version of Outlook, and the error only shows on the development server running Blue Prism 6.6.

The error seems to come when the combined length of the values specified in the send email action is exceeding 255 characters. The message itself is approximately 550 characters long, but if I "calculate" a data item with the same message, the error doesn't show.

Nicki Kristensen
RPA Developer
Europe/Copenhagen

Hi Nicki - I've reproduced the effect. It seems it's the length of the expression used in the Action input that is limited to 255, not result of the expression. I didn't understand your point correctly at first.

I think this is by design, so yes, the solution is to calculate the value first, then use the data item result as the input parameter. I tend to do this by default anyway, as I find expressions within inputs difficult to see and maintain.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John

Thanks for the answer, we'll just change to calculate the email message instead of writing it directly in the Send e-mail action.

Nicki Kristensen
RPA Developer