cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with PATH containing location of external DLL's

Anonymous
Not applicable
Following the below material, Blue Prism is not able to locate a DLL based on either a User or System Environment PATH.  (%PATH%)   https://help.blueprism.com/Automation-Design/Studio/Code-Stages/1140179932/How-do-I-specify-External-References-for-third-party-code-DLLs.htm   The ONLY way I have been able to get Blue Prism to recognize and compile when using an external referenced DLL to do one of the following and/or a combination there of:   1).  Just put the DLL into the "Blue Prism Automate" folder.      * This is not acceptable as in order to manage a DLL in that folder it is required to have elevated permissions to modify/change resources under Program Files.   2).  Use a combination of specifying an alternate storage location for the DLL (where the process has other access rights, but not elevated like administrator).. say "C:\MyDLL\MyDLL.dll".   Then adding the full path of "C:\MyDLL\MyDLL.dll" to thee Code Options reference in the objects "Initialise" action.   Then adding the DLL to the GAC using elevated permissions.      * The action of adding the DLL to the GAC alone should allow one to NOT have to make hard coded path references to a DLL in the Code Options, just like how all of the .NET libraries are referenced.  The GAC contains the DLL... but without that, AND adding a hardcoded path to the DLL reference in Blue Prism along with an additional copy of the DLL somewhere in the file system path... it won't work.  Not acceptable.   Using a System Environment %PATH% addition to an alternate location with read/write access permissions to the process and/or account running the process should work and it doesn't.  Clearly something is not standard or working properly in Blue Prism.   Can this be addressed please?
2 REPLIES 2

ScottPollard
Level 2
I would like to chime in on this post and confirm I'm seeing same behavior which seems contradictory/incorrect from a standard deployment perspective.

EricKim
Level 2
Im also having the same issue, using the %PATH% does not work. Strangely the Blue Prism Object Studio is able to recognize class and namespace of the DLL but when we actually try to call it from the code stage it says it cannot find the assembly or reference.

This is very important to us because we do not have elevated access to the automate.exe inside the program files.

------------------------------
Eric Kim
RPA Developer
Huntington National Bank
America/New_York
------------------------------