cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart the Resource PC instead of Log out using Login Agent

HarishM2
Level 6
Hi all,

We are facing some issue when we use log out after completion of main Process. Issue is Resource PC connection getting lost some time in the morning which is not happening in the afternoon run ..So instead of log out we want to restart  the machine is there any  way, we can  restart the machine every time when  Bot complete  the process.?(I didn't see any default action - action for restarting the process)
What are the Pros and cons of Restarting the Resource PC after completion of main Process?

------------------------------
-----
12 REPLIES 12

AmiBarrett
Level 12

If the user you're logged in as a local admin, you could run "shutdown /r -t 0" from a command-line. Just curious though, why log out entirely instead of just using "Lock Screen" and "Log In"?

About the only pro I can think of here, is that it refreshes the system to a known working state. One of the major cons though, is the downtime before you're able to run your next process again.

Ami Barrett
Lead RPA Software Developer
Solai & Cameron
America/Chicago

Hi Ami,

Thanks for responding , To comply we need to log out Virtual machine after completion of the process everyday. we are running the bot twice once in the morning and once in the afternoon, we were trying to log out the machine using  log out action which was provided by blue prism along with login agent . some times log out was successful  with out any issue but some times  when I see the resource PC the connection to that virtual machine is getting lost. we checked the windows logs as well but no luck there,. Is there any way we can fix arbitrary connection lost to Resource PC?

Harish kumar
RPA Developer

As I recall, there is a delay between the logout and when the Login Agent service kicks in again. Assuming the service is still running and checking for the existence of Automate.exe, it should automatically show up as a resource after some fashion. One of the things to remember, is that even if it starts right away, any Blue Prism listener takes a while before it's fully connected to the server and usable.

If you have any way of remotely starting/restarting the service, that may be a quicker troubleshooting option than rebooting the whole box.

Ami Barrett
Lead RPA Software Developer
Solai & Cameron
America/Chicago

Hi,

I believe that we also face this issue from time to time. (We do login-work-logout on every execution) 

In general, the server conclude that the resouce is "offline" but If I query the resource, it states "Ready!" 

Logging into the resource, that would trigger a switch from LoginAgent to Runtime will normally fix the problem .(But that is not nice during nights and weekends.... ) 

When this happens to you, what if you query the client from the outside, what response do you get ?

http://<resouce.name.com>:8180/status 

Run in a browser or other tool. BTW; do you run with separate ports or the same port on your resources ?

All the best,
Håkan

Hakan Engman
Automation engineer
Teliacompany.com
Europe/Stockholm

Hi Hakan,

I tried  toping the resource similar to what you suggested  from browser.My resource pc name is "w3sd4321".

http://w3sd4321.com:8180>status

of course I used different port number.But it is throwing error like ,The site cannot be reached.

Am I Doing the proper way to ping the resource PC"?

Thanks!

Harish kumar
RPA Developer

Well. It should be a "/" inbetween port and status. ( and it doesn't look like a FQDN in your example)

You can run it on the resource first.

http://127.0.0.1:8181/status

If you use non standard port, you need to give the runtime port in this case. 

All the best,
Håkan

Hakan Engman
Automation engineer
Teliacompany.com
Europe/Stockholm

Sorry, Its typo What i mean is

http://<resourcename>:8181/status

And I tried to run the above in the resource PC as well as externally in both attempts  it is saying "USER NOT SET" .

Thanks!

Harish kumar
RPA Developer

DonvilleTomlins
Level 2
You can do this by creating a code stage and adding the following.

Shell ("Shutdown -r -t 5")

Donville Tomlinson
IT Business Analyst
Harris Corporation

Adding on, based on my experience running "shutdown /r -t 0" does not require local admin rights.

/Joakim

Joakim Eklund
Senior RPA Developer
Swedbank AB
Europe/Stockholm