cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run time performance issues on a new machine/VM

KapilGupta
Level 3

We have a web browser (Chrome) and excel based automation process. It has been performing well on a Windows 10 runtime for last 1.5 years and did perform fast on Windows server run time during our testing. However, after we migrated it to a new Win 10 run time (new image) in a newly built environment it slowed down significantly. Even after increasing the CPU and RAM, there is performance gain. Security scanner has also been disabled. Process is triggered through Control room. BTW the website is not slow on the run time machine during manual interaction.

Automation is using UIA spy mode. Changing it to Browser/HTML based spying improves the performance but not comparable to the existing environment. We have also noticed process taking a little longer to finish for non-browser automations, but unlike browser based which takes 3x -4x times.

Looking for ideas, tools to identify the root cause and possible solutions.

Environment details:

Blue Prism 6.10, Chrome Extension 6.10.1

Existing Win 10 runtime (performs well):

Processor            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2698 v3 @ 2.30GHz   2.29 GHz (2 processors)

Installed RAM    16.0 GB

Edition                  Windows 10 Pro Education/ Version-21H2

OS build               19044.1645

Experience         Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Chrome                Version 102.0.5005.63 (Official Build) (64-bit)

New Win 10 runtime (with performance issues):

Processor            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v3 @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz (2 processors)

Installed RAM    16.0 GB

Edition                  Windows 10 Enterprise/ Version 20H2

OS build               19042.867

Experience         Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Chrome                Version 102.0.5005.63 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Win server runtime (performs well):

Processor            Intel(R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8280 CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.69 GHz (4 processors)

Installed RAM    16.0 GB

Edition                  Windows Server 2019 Datacenter/ Version 1809

OS build               17763.2803

Chrome                 Version 102.0.5005.63 (Official Build) (64-bit)

------------------------------
Thanks and Regards,
Kapil Gupta
Thanks, [FirstName] [LastName]
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @KapilGupta

That looks a very wierd problem I think​.

Just to rule out problems...

- Talking about the hardware , pretty similar in both case. I check the requirements for the W10 are correct.
- The web works correctly, so it will not be a problem with the Internet connection or any Firewall problem or similar (at least with the website)
- You said that you run the process manually, so, you open a BP Console in the Worker and execute the process. As you said, this works correctly, so it will not be a problem of the installation or the environment.

So... talking about machine-to-machine communication.... You have good connectivity between the new RuntimeResource and the Application Server? Or maybe any firewall problem or similar?

I would emphasise this point. Cause, as you said, the rest of the platform works well when you run all manually.

Hope this clarify you a little bit!

See you in the Community, bye 🙂

Pablo Sarabia
Solution Manager & Architect
Altamira Assets Management
Madrid

Thanks @PabloSarabia,  We also tried bypassing app server and runtime machine connecting to database directly but had the same results. Based on my understanding, runtime usage the VM/host machine resource to interacting with the apps on it,  and not much communication between App Server and the runtime (other than logging) during the run. My guess is that network connection between runtime and app server (or db) may be playing small part. But if we need to check any specific port or look at specific connection, let me know.

Kapil Gupta
Thanks, [FirstName] [LastName]

Hi @KapilGupta

Just to check if is a connection problem. Did you check the latency between servers? 

You can achieve this with a ping from the RR to the Application Server or the Database. (Is not a good practice to connect directly to the database, remember this point)

Use this command and check the results

ping <machine name> -t

Check the results for several minutes and see if you have low time and TTL

Hope this helps you!

See you in the Community, bye 🙂

Pablo Sarabia
Solution Manager & Architect
Altamira Assets Management
Madrid