Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server Licensing

flavio.lara
Level 5
Hello Experts!

Considering the following BP infra:

1 Shared Server (Application Server + Data Base Server)
10 Runtime Resources

On the APP/DB Server we have a "SQL Server 2017 Standard" installed using the "Server + CAL" Licensing model:

36550.png
Knowing that all communication between the Runtimes and the Database goes through the Application Server, which option is correct?
  • 1 Server License + 1 CAL (Considering only the connection between BP Application Server to the Database)
  • 1 Server License + 10 CAL (Considering 1 CAL per Runtime Resource)

Thank you!
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Flavio,

What James has said is correct, to elaborate a little more, it is worth pointing out that "any" client connection to SQL Server licensed under the Server + CAL model requires a CAL license. This includes a CAL license for all DBA's too. I would highly recommend that stringent security rules are imposed for not only Logins within SQL Server but also at the network layer to only allow connections to the SQL Server from specific addresses to reduce the number of client machines that could possibly connect. Take for example an Active Directory Group with the name "Domain\SQL Analysts" if this group contained business users, lets say 50 of them, who on occasion connect to various SQL Servers in the business to run queries or analyse data and this group is added to your Server CAL licensed Blue Prism server for some reason. If you are audited then as these users, A) have SQL Server Management Studio installed on their client Machine. B) Have access to the Server CAL licensed Blue Prism server you may well find yourself at the very least having to pay for these CAL licenses as it is your responsibility to prove they cannot / do not access the server.

I would highly recommend working with your DBA team to understand the options available when it comes to the Server + CAL licensing model.

Regards

Chris

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JamesMan
Staff
Staff
Ignoring any special requirements that you may have, in terms of core Blue Prism functionality, only the Application Server needs to access the database. I would also point out that it is possible to have multiple Application Servers, whether that be for high availability/disaster recovery purposes, or just because you need to handle more server load. 
I have also seen some customers grant direct database access to the Runtime Resources for some specific reasons, such as to try and automate their database maintenance/table cleanup, or to act as a "master" scheduling bot so that they don't need to rely on the scheduler as much. So there are some specialized use cases that may involve a few Runtime Resources accessing the database in a read manner.

JerinJose
Level 10
Hi Flavio,

Since you have only one application server and the database resides on the same machine you would need only one server license and 1CAL. if you are planning to scale up your environment with more RR. I would recommend a separate VM for DB server as the log size increase per day(this will eat up your storage) would become un manageable till we are confident to change the logging level to errors only.

Hi Flavio,

What James has said is correct, to elaborate a little more, it is worth pointing out that "any" client connection to SQL Server licensed under the Server + CAL model requires a CAL license. This includes a CAL license for all DBA's too. I would highly recommend that stringent security rules are imposed for not only Logins within SQL Server but also at the network layer to only allow connections to the SQL Server from specific addresses to reduce the number of client machines that could possibly connect. Take for example an Active Directory Group with the name "Domain\SQL Analysts" if this group contained business users, lets say 50 of them, who on occasion connect to various SQL Servers in the business to run queries or analyse data and this group is added to your Server CAL licensed Blue Prism server for some reason. If you are audited then as these users, A) have SQL Server Management Studio installed on their client Machine. B) Have access to the Server CAL licensed Blue Prism server you may well find yourself at the very least having to pay for these CAL licenses as it is your responsibility to prove they cannot / do not access the server.

I would highly recommend working with your DBA team to understand the options available when it comes to the Server + CAL licensing model.

Regards

Chris