cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule not Starting

OliverMohajeri
Level 4
Hi All,   We have a schedule built out, designed to run every 10 minutes. The issue is that it does not. I can run processes from Control Room with no issue, but for some reason, although the time table gets populated, the schedule never runs and the Listener never picks the request up.   I have attached screenshots of the Queue Management, Schedule, Task, Timetable, System Scheduler page and the License page. Does anyone know what the issue could be? My first thought was the SQL server, but as the Control Room seems to function I am not sure that is the case.   The Terminated process is one I ran from Control Room. The scheduler processes don't appear in Queue Management as pending or anything.
12 REPLIES 12

david.l.morris
Level 14
Are you running an App Server (Blue Prism Server)? Scheduler is run by the App Server. Neither the Runtime Resources nor the Database can do that. You may know that already, but the screenshots saying 'Connected to SQL Server 2014' lead me to believe that you're connecting the Runtime Resource (and/or the Interactive Client) directly to the database. Usually the model is to connect RR/IC to the App Server and then the App Server to the BP Database. This can all be done on the same machine so it doesn't mean you actually have to provision extra machines for this. Looks like you're just doing a pilot anyway. Dave
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

AmiBarrett
Level 12
Schedule functionality is independent of connecting direct to the DB vs connecting to the App Server. It looks like this is the only system connected to your environment, though. I've never been able to go into the Blue Prism UI and kick off a schedule on the same machine successfully.  Is there another box you can install Blue Prism on to test with to interact with the resource PC you've shown?

david.l.morris
Level 14
Yeah, I just figured that it was unlikely an app server was being used if they were directly connecting to the DB. I am curious to try out the performance improvements you've pointed out in doing that. Anyway, sorry off topic. =) As far as kicking off a schedule with the same machine, not sure if this is what you mean or not, but I have a BP Database, BP Server, and BP Runtime Resource all on one machine, and I'm able to kick off schedules using Scheduler. Maybe it has something to do with the connection mode?

OliverMohajeri
Level 4
Regarding Servers, I'm far from an expert. All I know is that we have SQL Express set up on the device and BP connecting directly to that. I presume that means there is no app server?

david.l.morris
Level 14
Correct, that means you're not running an app server. No worries, I'm far from an expert as well. I can point you in the right direction and answer some basic questions on setting that up, but others such as amibarret, since he's watching this post already, can give more full advice. Here's some of what you'll need to get started: There are Infrastructure documents, which explain some of the configurations for interactive clients, runtime resources, app servers, and database. This will probably be more gee whiz (but good to know) info for you right now. Infrastructure Introduction: https://portal.blueprism.com/documents/standard?title=infrastructure+In… Infrastructure Overview: https://portal.blueprism.com/documents/standard?title=infrastructure+ov… There are installation documents, which you'll need to set up the configuration correctly such as using an encryption scheme and setting up the server profile, etc. Installing Enterprise Edition: https://portal.blueprism.com/documents/standard?title=installing&catego… Note that (If I remember right), simply running BPServer.exe (in the BP Automate folder) is how you can configure the BP Server profile, but I believe that Scheduler will only work if BPServer.exe is running as a Windows service. And you'll need to make sure that the admin username/password configured in that service is correct. Otherwise, it's mostly just following the steps outlined in 'Installing Enterprise Edition'. If I've forgotten anything or if there's a more direct set of steps, I'm sure someone else will post to provide that.

OliverMohajeri
Level 4
Brilliant, thank you!   Do you think this is the cause of said issue then? The connection between the BP and the Database?

david.l.morris
Level 14
Absolutely is. Scheduler is run on the app server on purpose. The issue is that there's no app server running at all. What I described was that the suggested setup is that runtime resources connect to the app server and the app server connects to the database. As amibarret said, the direct connection isn't really the issue. Try out the instructions in the installation docs and when...I mean...if you run into issues, we can help troubleshoot. Maybe it will just work. 😃

OliverMohajeri
Level 4
Ok, so I've made some progress, but hit an issue. Wondering if anyone can help :)   I think I've set up the App Server, but think it is failing to connect to the database correctly. The App Server works when I test it on Blue Prism Server, but when I actually turn the Server on it fails immediately with an error stating: ""Service ""BLUE PRISM SERVER"" was started on ""LOCAL COMPUTER"" and then stopped. Some services are automatically stopped if they are not used by other services or programs"". Windows Event Viewer says the issue was ""BluePrism.BPCoreLib.InvalidStateException: Connection not valid: Cannot open Database ""BluePrismPilot"" request by the logon. The login failed. Login failde for user ""NT-AUTORITAT/SYSTEM"".

OliverMohajeri
Level 4
Screenshots attached