cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate user license needed for Bots to access SAP, Workday and similar systems

ParnabSinha_Cho
Level 5
Hi,

We have created a Blueprism process that needs to access various systems like SAP, Workday etc.... Is there a separate license needed for bots to access SAP, Workday etc or if normal user license are enough to access these systems.

Thanks,
Parnab

------------------------------
Parnab Sinha Choudhury
RPA Developer / Business Analyst
Parnab Sinha Choudhury RPA Developer / Business Analyst
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

@ParnabSinha_Cho,

I have seen some instances in the past where companies include​ restrictions in their licensing terms or terms of service that specifically call out the use of "bots", "screen scraping", and other terms that have been associated with RPA.

Ultimately, it's up to you, or more precisely your legal department, to review the terms for any platform you want to integrate with to determine if those restrictions apply to your use case. This is one of the reasons I recommend integrating via an API, if one exists, over integrating via the UI. API's are specifically crafted for use by other software (i.e. Digital Workers).

And just to be clear, if a Digital Worker is integrating via the UI of a platform that is licensed per-user, that Digital Worker will require a license on that platform.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ewilson
Staff
Staff
@ParnabSinha_Cho,

There's no specific license that Blue Prism requires in order to integrate with other applications. The other platform may have different license requirements depending on how you're trying to integrate with it though. As an example, in some cases Salesforce.com has a license related to the use of their REST APIs. We have connectors in our Power Pack for Salesforce.com that utilize those APIs, so in that case you would need to have the necessary license from Salesforce.com to use the Blue Prism connectors.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Eric Wilson

Thanks a lot @ewilson for your response. I was more thinking from a target system perspective, like a normal human user bots logs into different systems to access information and make changes. Have you in past came across any scenario where some of these systems raised a concern that a Robot is logging into those systems and making changes or accessing data and its not covered in those system's initial license to allow robots to access. ​​

Parnab Sinha Choudhury

@ParnabSinha_Cho,

I have seen some instances in the past where companies include​ restrictions in their licensing terms or terms of service that specifically call out the use of "bots", "screen scraping", and other terms that have been associated with RPA.

Ultimately, it's up to you, or more precisely your legal department, to review the terms for any platform you want to integrate with to determine if those restrictions apply to your use case. This is one of the reasons I recommend integrating via an API, if one exists, over integrating via the UI. API's are specifically crafted for use by other software (i.e. Digital Workers).

And just to be clear, if a Digital Worker is integrating via the UI of a platform that is licensed per-user, that Digital Worker will require a license on that platform.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson

Thanks a lot Eric for your support. We are using API as much as possible where there is a scope, but as API are still maturing for some systems where we can now only do limited task only we still have a need to login and perform tasks. We will do the check with our team and the product's side as well.

Parnab Sinha Choudhury