cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get items in the web application into collection in chrome

Miya
Level 5
Hi,

I have a web application in which i have a large number of items (around 200) which i need to take into collection to select the specific item .
  I am using the web based application with chrome browser and BP6.8.1
web path of the item is below.
/HTML[1]/BODY[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[2]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[2]/DIV[4]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[2]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[3]/DIV[2]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[2]/DIV[2]/DIV[1]/

can some one help me to get all the items in the above path into collection without using the dynamic path attribute. Our requirement was to avoid using the path so that when we move to higher environment we can run the process without respying.

------------------------------
Miya
1 REPLY 1

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Miya,

I think it is not very obvious from the path you provided to work out how the table is represented in HTML in your web application. Afterall, DIV tags can be used for pretty much anything, not only limited to a table, or its components.

Dyanmic path attribute is a valid approach, just that you need to account for any change in web path from different environments. A common approach is to get the static part of the path into a data item and manipulate it to incorporate any changing bits for each environment.

A better approach may involve the use of an XPath expression in the Web Path attribute. Using XPath, you can choose to only consider the bits you really need, disregard of any changes in HTML DOM may be introduced in the hierarchy. It is not always straightforward to craft the expression also, and you must do your due diligence as the developer to ensure it is going to handle all situations you are aware of. In addition, if your table is not a standard table (i.e. using <table> tag), you will likely need to devise iteration logic as well so a collection is manually constructed.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney