cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to launch and Spy Remote Desktop

ManojKumar3
Level 6
Hi Team, i am able to launch Remote desktop but then i am not able to identify the elements in it because i am not having the connectivity on it. even i tried to use attach action but then still i am not able to connect to it and spy the elements does any one have come across this issue ??
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

david.l.morris
Level 14
You don't need Region mode to find the RDP window. You'll use Win32 mode and you can identify the RDP window based on its window title or the process name. One or both of the following worked for me when I've done this: Window Title: ""*Remote Desktop*"" Process Name: ""mstsc"" After you launch/attach to the RDP window, you then use region mode inside of the RDP window to look for images and text. You'll obviously have all of the same concerns as any time that you use Surface Automation, such as the screen resolution of the machine, font smoothing should be turned off, etc.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmiBarrett
Level 12
You have to use Region mode/OCR/surface automation techniques. There is no direct interface to RDP elements, like UiPath has with its Citrix mode.

ManojKumar3
Level 6
Hi Amibarrett,   I tried that as well but we cannot assume the position of the Remote desktop to be the same all time in that case Region mode would go for toss. have you any time spied the RDP in your project and is it consistent in its response??  

david.l.morris
Level 14
You don't need Region mode to find the RDP window. You'll use Win32 mode and you can identify the RDP window based on its window title or the process name. One or both of the following worked for me when I've done this: Window Title: ""*Remote Desktop*"" Process Name: ""mstsc"" After you launch/attach to the RDP window, you then use region mode inside of the RDP window to look for images and text. You'll obviously have all of the same concerns as any time that you use Surface Automation, such as the screen resolution of the machine, font smoothing should be turned off, etc.
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

AmiBarrett
Level 12
We had a process that automated through three RDP hops, actually. The key thing is to make use of your Windows + Arrow key combinations. For example, Windows + Up will full-screen the active application. (RDP will need to be full-screen for that to work). You can also toggle RDP being fullscreen by using ctrl+alt+break . If you know the position of icons on the taskbar (which should be fairly easy if they're pinned), you can use Windows + the respective number key. For example, an application in the first slot would be Windows+1 . Again, you'll have to send these using something like AutoHotKey, rather than the built-in SendKeys method Blue Prism uses (which would also rule out bashing your own SendKeys code stages).   For a list of additional keyboard commands you might find useful, check here:https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-8/top-10-remote-desktop-keyboard-sho…