cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to attach to browser which is already running

FrankieTEWV
Level 5

Hello,

Im struggling to attach to a browser that is already running.

We have other automations which we have set up to do this and have no issues so not sure whats causing this issue however please see details below ...

My automation is logging in to the application fine which uses the  basic actions object we created  however when it needs to click a button on that application (using another object)  its giving me the error each time

Internal : Failed to perform step 1 in Navigate Stage 'Attach' on page 'Attach' - The query did not match the window title provided, please try again.

Ive used wildcards in the window title 

Ive checked in application modeller under the win32 spied screen of  what the window text is and used that as the window title and still get the error

ive increased the child index number and nothing works

I then used the utility general - get windows action which got the window title and we passed that parameter in as the window tile on the attach action and still got the error .

whats really strange is that it doesn't attach to the browser that is already running - however if i go into the application modeller on the object where its failing and click attach - it opens a new window for the application and when i run the attach action it works ?

Ive included screen shots below

2 objects we are using in our process

36060.png

process launches and logs into healthroster fine - which uses the basic actions object

but then fails on the download payroll page - which uses the payroll finalisation object

36061.png

i then go to the payroll finalisation object  (the object its failing on) and in application modeller click attach

36062.png

this opens up a new window of the application

36063.png

i run the attach action and it attaches fine - it just wont attach on the original application that launches when it logs in - which is what i need it to do 
36064.png

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Frankie

1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

John__Carter
Staff
Staff

Try attaching without specifying the Window Title (or use *) and just use Process Name (msedge) and Child Index (probably zero). In Edge (and Chrome) all tabs are part of the same instance, so you don't really need to use Window Title.

The 'new window opens when I click attach' effect is probably dues to this:
36059.png

I've never liked this feature and always ensure this field is blank so that the VBO won't automatically try to launch when attach fails.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John__Carter
Staff
Staff

Try attaching without specifying the Window Title (or use *) and just use Process Name (msedge) and Child Index (probably zero). In Edge (and Chrome) all tabs are part of the same instance, so you don't really need to use Window Title.

The 'new window opens when I click attach' effect is probably dues to this:
36059.png

I've never liked this feature and always ensure this field is blank so that the VBO won't automatically try to launch when attach fails.

FrankieTEWV
Level 5

Hi John - 

thank you so much, at first I tried not using the window title but got the same error, then i set the widow title as (*) wildcard and it worked!!

thanks so  much again 🙂

Frankie

John__Carter
Staff
Staff

Great news Frankie. You'll find that once attached, a VBO can spy elements on any tab. The Window Title parameter suggests that you are attaching to a particular tab but with Edge and Chrome that isn't the case - all tabs are part of a single instance.