cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 6.1 - Application Server

SteveBoomer
Level 5
Hi All, We've recently upgraded our development environment to BP v6.1 - All has gone reasonably well except for one thing. The BPServer application does not recognise our BP Service if it is set to logon with anything other than the local system account. The problem is that if the service is running with the local system account it cannot connect to the DB (which is on a separate server) and therefore will not start. We have tried creating the service using the BPServer application and also using SC Create. Neither make any difference. Do we really need to have the service visible in the BPServer application? I can't actually see that it offers any value. Thanks, Steve
5 REPLIES 5

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Probably worth a call to our service desk Steve, but could it be that the (non local) account the service is using cannot authenticate with SQL Server?

Hi John, The local system account cannot authenticate with the SQL server, which means that the service doesn't start. If we use an account which can authenticate (a domain account) the service is no longer visible in the BPServer application. (We use service accounts for the majority of our applications) So is that a problem technically? Should the service show no matter what? Doesn't appear to have any affect on the operation of the application. I'll upload some screenshots..... Thanks, Steve

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Steve, we can't see screenshots on the forum (the site is due an overhaul in the New Year) so I'd still recommend mailing support. The BPServer.exe tool is really just a config/test tool for running the server application. Strictly speaking doesn't run a service, but it does run the same application that the service does. Sometimes you find BPServer.exe can run but the service can't, and usually the issue lies with the account the service is running with. Confusing, I know. But like I said, this forum isn't the best for problem solving, and the support guys will often have the answer pretty quickly.

Thanks John, will email them now. Cheers, Steve

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
Also worth considering your upgrade approach. We tend to recommend the creation of a seperate dedicated upgrade environment for your regression testing as part of a planned regression testing and upgrade project - rather than putting existing dev/test/prod environments at risk.