cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does tracking ID mean? Is it a PID?

KalpeshGujrati
Level 4
Hi All,

Could you please help me to understand from where i can get the tracking ID? I can see while automating the browser application we have an input parameter called tracking Id, but i am not sure about the value to be passed here.

Thanks

17338.png

------------------------------
Kalpesh Gujrati
Consultant
EY India
Asia/Kolkata
9 REPLIES 9

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Kalpesh,

Tracking ID was created for a single reason, to offer ability to differentiate elements of the same definition present in all opened browser tabs. Going back to the old days with IE, developers must attach to the right browser instance in order to spy the element found within it. In modern browser mode, this is no longer true. All open browser tabs will be visible to Application Modeller. Now imagine the following 2 scenarios.

• the same page is opened on multiple tabs. Elements on those pages are exactly the same.
  • element is loosely defined, so its definition happens to match multiple elements on different pages. This is rare but definitely possible.
In both cases, Application Modeller would return error message "More than one element is found". This does not help with element identification. So the solution is to use a Tracking ID to differentiate them, so Application Modeller can confine its search within the designated instance/tab.

In normal circumstance, people do not need to use it, and it is in fact an optional field.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney

Thanks Bruce for the information. Really helpful.

Thanks​

Kalpesh Gujrati
Sr. Automation Developer
Jaguar Land Rover
Pune

VedSengupta
Level 6
Hello Kalpesh,
When you are launching a URL using Navigate stage you get an output for tracking ID there itself which can be used as Bruce has mentioned correctly.

17304.png

Best Regards,
Ved Sengupta
RPA Developer
Bangalore | INDIA
------------------------------ Best Regards, Ved Sengupta RPA Developer Deloitte India (Offices of the US) Bangalore | INDIA *If you find this post helpful mark it as best answer* ------------------------------

After migrating from v6 to v7, it started giving error on all attach, detach, and terminate. I understand it is optional property but object validation shows this as error on v7.0
17308.png

Harshil Mehta
Senior Application Developer
CIBC

Hi Harshil,

When I looked closely, the error reported in your example seemed to be different when compared to BP-1668. Can you please share from which version of BP v6 you were upgrading from?

Bruce Liu
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney

Thanks Ved! Yes, I figured it out. This was not showing up with existing code that I migrated from v6.8. However, when I drag drop new Nav stage, it does show up in output. That's why I got confused. Apparently this issue is resolved in v7.0.1.

Harshil Mehta
CIBC

Hi Bruce, 

Sorry for delay in reply. It is from v6.8 to v7.0. The issue seems to have resolved in v7.0.1. 

Although it doesn't give any error, but now it is causing new issue. Seems in v7.0.1, BP give default bool True to all tracking Id. After migrating all tracking id parameters are set to True. Which causes unexpected behavior. 
17323.png

As a work around I had to update all attach, detach, terminate actions. It would be great if BP can fix this in next release.

Harshil Mehta
CIBC

I have downloaded blue prism version 7.2.1 learning edition (trial) . I have launched an edge instance, but I am not able to get the tracking id output parameter.I am confusefd how to get this tracking id value. 

abhi sachdev

Hi Abhi,

You must firstly set the object to use "Browser-based Application (Chrome, Firefox or Edge Chromium)" in the Application Modeller. Then in a Launch or an  Attach stages you create within the said object, you will get Tracking ID field shown under the Outputs tab like below:

17336.png

The above is the only way you can generate Tracking ID from within Blue Prism.

Hope this helps.

Bruce Liu
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney